Blood Pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When taking your blood pressure it's always best to discount the first one and HCPs will often do an eaverage of three to get a more realistic figure.

Some people - like me! - can only produce a realistic figure with 24-hr monitoring, when it's measured every 15 minutes whatever you are doing.
HCPs routinely taking my BP in a clinical setting will get scarily-high readings, whether they take one, three or many more readings. My GP sets me me up for 24hr monitoring every year or so, o ensure there is real evidence - not just my say-so - that my 'highly dangerous level - urgent admission required' BP is in fact nothing more sinister than WCS.

Buck

Guru
Yes, there will always be exceptions that need to be managed in a different way and good that your GP recognises this need.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Have they asked you to do home monitoring? That's only borderline high and could be Dr effect

Stress i think is an issue
This morning i got up after a late shift so got to bed about 1.30 am and up to help mrs ck with the kids so maybe hours sleep and when i come down its manic so u do mp bp and its high again .I do it again later when its calmed down and its 9 lower .

yello

I'm on meds and the doc okays mine at 140/80 or under (the round down in France). I've always thought that a bit high tbh but if they're ok then I'm ok. No white coat syndrome either, I'll measure it at home and get the same sort of numbers.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
BP measured twice last night: 104/59 and 98/59.
Resting pulse was 61 and 59.

These are my best measurements in decades, maybe ever; which I I attribute to taking a temporary break from booze (am 19 days in).

In my 50s now, so am probably due another NHS healthcheck to review a few other measures - suspect my cholesterol and HBA1c might be a bit high.

nagden

Über Member
I have had terrible problems with high blood pressure over the years and have been on medication for a while. I have changed my cycling to low heart rate and it has really paid off. I have been getting very dizzy when getting up and at the GP's it was 113/72 even with my white coat syndrome this was a record for me. Today I have been feeling very dizzy at times and measured it with my wrist cuff monitor and it was 86/52. Good job I have got an appointment with the cardiologist. Time for a change to the treatment.

drkash

I have had terrible problems with high blood pressure over the years and have been on medication for a while. I have changed my cycling to low heart rate and it has really paid off. I have been getting very dizzy when getting up and at the GP's it was 113/72 even with my white coat syndrome this was a record for me. Today I have been feeling very dizzy at times and measured it with my wrist cuff monitor and it was 86/52. Good job I have got an appointment with the cardiologist. Time for a change to the treatment.

86/52 is pretty low. If you are feeling dizzy that would be a concern. If you are currently taking meds to lower your BP these should be reduced asap. But first you should check your BP with an arm cuff as they are more reliable than wrist monitors. I would suggest seeing your GP asap to review your medications and not wait to see your Cardiologist if that is not the next few days.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I think you are misreading the chart?

I'm no medic, but purely based on the info in that chart you are good even as low as 100/40?

I'm sure the cut-off isn't quite as angular as the chart suggests and there are many other health and lifestyle factors to consider, but this may be a classic case if a little information being a dangerous thing? You are not on the border of the concern zone so carry on as you are.....

@Ming the Merciless is reading the chart correctly. Only one of the numbers needs to be higher than it should be to be diagnosed with high blood pressure, and only one needs to be lower than it should be to be diagnosed with low blood pressure.

nagden

Über Member
86/52 is pretty low. If you are feeling dizzy that would be a concern. If you are currently taking meds to lower your BP these should be reduced asap. But first you should check your BP with an arm cuff as they are more reliable than wrist monitors. I would suggest seeing your GP asap to review your medications and not wait to see your Cardiologist if that is not the next few days.
Thanks for the reply. I have a week to wait for the cardiologist. If it gets any worse I will see my doctor as you say.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

These are my best measurements in decades, maybe ever; which I I attribute to taking a temporary break from booze (am 19 days in).

In my 50s now, so am probably due another NHS healthcheck to review a few other measures - suspect my cholesterol and HBA1c might be a bit high.

Are you back on booze and how’s the BP going?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Back on the booze, yes. Trying to stay below 10 units a week, with mixed results!

Had an nhs healthcheck 2 weeks ago: bp was 100/61 (on 2nd attempt).

Bloods were all good apart from Gilbert syndrome, but that's supposed to be harmless.

rualexander

Legendary Member

Diastolic is probably too low.
Diastolic pressure below 70 has been linked to increased risk of heart attack among other things.
The heart gets most of its blood supply during diastole.

Top Bottom