Blood sugar levels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
numbnuts

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Type 2 may be asymptomatic for a long time. Moderately elevated blood sugar levels don't necessarily cause acute symptoms, though they may still cause long term damage. There was a study in Australia in the nineties which concluded that, on average, type two patients were likely to have had elevated blood sugar for four years prior to diagnosis, based on peripheral neuropathy tests.
I have a blood test every 12 months so mine came quite quickly.

Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
As a hypochondriac, I don't like hearing things like this. Who knows what conditions we could be walking around with!

I am with you. Ignorance is bliss as far as I am concerned! ;)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Until your heart, eyes, kidneys and peripheral vascular system packs up. It’s best not to be an undiagnosed diabetic :smile:

Yes agreed. I was exaggerating. Among my friends / acquaintances / relations (many of whom, are, like me, past their “best before” date), there are some, who, IMHO, obsess about their health, talking interminably about every ache and twinge. I prefer to be a bit more optimistic and hope that I will just keep going, until, one day, “lights out”.. but, each to their own.

JhnBssll

Veteran
@numbnuts I'd be interested to know how you're getting on with tracking your blood sugar and how it's affected by cycling etc - I've had a glucose tolerance test today after getting a slightly raised blood sugar level of 8.8 in a blood test last week. I'm not really sure what the results are going to show - in my case the diabetes will be secondary (I lost half my Pancreas a couple of years back) so it's not likely to be a standard case of type 1 or type 2, in fact I've been warned it could be "double diabetes" which I didn't even know existed until very recently :wacko::laugh:

Either that or it was just an anomylous test result - I'm ever the optimist :laugh:

OP
OP
numbnuts

numbnuts

Legendary Member
@numbnuts I'd be interested to know how you're getting on with tracking your blood sugar and how it's affected by cycling etc - I've had a glucose tolerance test today after getting a slightly raised blood sugar level of 8.8 in a blood test last week. I'm not really sure what the results are going to show - in my case the diabetes will be secondary (I lost half my Pancreas a couple of years back) so it's not likely to be a standard case of type 1 or type 2, in fact I've been warned it could be "double diabetes" which I didn't even know existed until very recently :wacko::laugh:

Either that or it was just an anomylous test result - I'm ever the optimist :laugh:
They have classed me as borderline so no medication and can lower the numbers quite easily by exercise cycling and walking, but everything I eat puts it back up to 8.5 + which they say is normal for someone with type 2.
To be honest I have given up so much of the food I like I now find meal times a bore and don't really enjoy them, but I have to do as I'm told, the surgery has put me on a day course in June to learn all about diabetes so I may find out more about it there.

postman

Legendary Member
I was also classed as borderline early this year.I was told to lose weight exercise more and cut out sweet stuff.Sweet stuff is very hard to cut out,but i also have dark nagging thoughts that it's all a big con to get people on to more pills.How come so many people like me and numbnuts suddenly find they are ar risk,after years of cycling.I am very skeptical,it's like the cholesterol fiasco allover again,i am thinking it's going to be blood pressure next scare.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've already made several lifestyle improvements post pancreatitis and will do everything the doctor tells me. It's simply not worth the risk. I've been alcohol free ever since so going without Haribo should be easy :laugh: If it's as simple as diet control and drugs I'll be pleased with the outcome, it's the daily injections and faff of carrying all the kit around everywhere that I'm keen to avoid... Just waiting by the phone to see what cards I've been dealt this time in the game of life :laugh:

C R

Guru
I was also classed as borderline early this year.I was told to lose weight exercise more and cut out sweet stuff.Sweet stuff is very hard to cut out,but i also have dark nagging thoughts that it's all a big con to get people on to more pills.How come so many people like me and numbnuts suddenly find they are ar risk,after years of cycling.I am very skeptical,it's like the cholesterol fiasco allover again,i am thinking it's going to be blood pressure next scare.

Look at it from a different perspective, you may have been a full blown type 2 diabetic by now if you didn't exercise regularly.

I have been type 1 for about 23 years now, with reasonably good control, but getting slightly unstable in the last few years. A couple of years ago decided to bring my bike back in use, and have slowly increased my mileage. Even though I don't cycle a lot (around 1000 miles per year) the improvement in my glucose levels and reduction in insulin requirements is amazing.

C R

Guru
I've already made several lifestyle improvements post pancreatitis and will do everything the doctor tells me. It's simply not worth the risk. I've been alcohol free ever since so going without Haribo should be easy :laugh: If it's as simple as diet control and drugs I'll be pleased with the outcome, it's the daily injections and faff of carrying all the kit around everywhere that I'm keen to avoid... Just waiting by the phone to see what cards I've been dealt this time in the game of life :laugh:
I wouldn't be too concerned about carrying stuff around. Insulin pens and needles don't take a lot of space, and don't need particular care in the moderate temperatures you are likely to face in the UK. With regards to injecting, the needles are tiny, only 4mm long, and you get used to it in no time.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I wouldn't be too concerned about carrying stuff around. Insulin pens and needles don't take a lot of space, and don't need particular care in the moderate temperatures you are likely to face in the UK. With regards to injecting, the needles are tiny, only 4mm long, and you get used to it in no time.

That's good to know, thanks :smile: It would be quite a steep learning curve as I know bits but no real detail. I was diabetic for a month or two in hospital but my insulin was given via intravenous pump, they did a finger prick test every 4 hours and changed the dosage to suit. I don't actually mind injections so a 4mm needle would be no problem. I had blood taken at least once a day for 3 months in hospital :laugh:

I presume given the size of the needle it doesn't need to go in to a vein?

C R

Guru
That's good to know, thanks :smile: It would be quite a steep learning curve as I know bits but no real detail. I was diabetic for a month or two in hospital but my insulin was given via intravenous pump, they did a finger prick test every 4 hours and changed the dosage to suit. I don't actually mind injections so a 4mm needle would be no problem. I had blood taken at least once a day for 3 months in hospital :laugh:

I presume given the size of the needle it doesn't need to go in to a vein?
Self administered insulin is injected into the tissue under the skin. That way the insulin is absorbed gradually. Intravenous injection is only done in situations where you need the insulin level to go up fast, or with a pump under regular monitoring. BTW I have never heard of intravenous self administration, I guess it might happen, but I don't think you could do it with a pen and pen needle.

Hopefully you'll be ok and not need it.

Top Bottom