Blood sugar levels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Ok, sounds relatively straightforward then - perhaps not quite the nightmare I had imagined.

I've not been contacted with any results yet - I'm taking this as a positive sign as I know from experience they get on to you pretty quickly when they need to :laugh: Here's hoping anyway...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Type 2 can be easily controlled by watching carb intake (carb counting, not calorie counting). It's how we manage my son's Type 1 (which is completely different disease). We weigh and measure his carbs so he can take the correct insulin dose.

For you, cut down 'white' carbs - i.e. white bread/rice etc and move to wholemeal/brown, but reduce what you have, and fill up with non-carb veg. We've changed our cooking to be less carby. Cake is a big no-no though - huge amounts of carbs in a 'muffin. for example - almost as much as in a meal.

PS to CR - there are two types of insulin injections, fast acting and long acting, or in the case of my son, he is on fast acting, delivered by a pump.

C R

Guru
Ok, sounds relatively straightforward then - perhaps not quite the nightmare I had imagined.

I've not been contacted with any results yet - I'm taking this as a positive sign as I know from experience they get on to you pretty quickly when they need to :laugh: Here's hoping anyway...
Hopefully that's the case, best of luck.
PS to CR - there are two types of insulin injections, fast acting and long acting, or in the case of my son, he is on fast acting, delivered by a pump.

I am type 1 too. I was diagnosed when I was 22, so that probably made things easier for me. After 23 years I can hardly remember what it was like not being diabetic.

I am on the two insulin types. The slow acting one is supposed to provide a steady level of insulin throughout the day, equivalent to the slow continuous infusion from the pump. The fast acting one is absorbed quickly to provide the raise in insulin levels required when eating.

As I understand, the pump still releases the insulin subcutaneously, doesn't it? What kind of pump does your son use? How does he get on with it? My control is reasonable, so the pump has never been in my thoughts, but I am interested in other people's experiences, if you don't mind sharing. You can PM me if you prefer.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hopefully that's the case, best of luck.

I am type 1 too. I was diagnosed when I was 22, so that probably made things easier for me. After 23 years I can hardly remember what it was like not being diabetic.

I am on the two insulin types. The slow acting one is supposed to provide a steady level of insulin throughout the day, equivalent to the slow continuous infusion from the pump. The fast acting one is absorbed quickly to provide the raise in insulin levels required when eating.

As I understand, the pump still releases the insulin subcutaneously, doesn't it? What kind of pump does your son use? How does he get on with it? My control is reasonable, so the pump has never been in my thoughts, but I am interested in other people's experiences, if you don't mind sharing. You can PM me if you prefer.

My son is on the Accucheck insight. Its ok but we'e had lots of handset issues like everyone. We also use the Abbott Libre and an additional bit of kit called an Ambrosia Systems Blucon night rider which reads the Libre and sends readings to his phone.

Reactions: C R

JhnBssll

Veteran
Spoke to the surgery today, the receptionist was able to tell me my results were back and that they suggest I am diabetic but nothing more at this stage... I've been given an appointment with my doctor but it's not for another week. I'm guessing this is a good sign as if it was serious they'd have had me in immediately. Hopefully a bit of diet control and weight loss will see me good but I'll have to wait until next Tuesday evening to find out :laugh:

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
Spoke to the surgery today, the receptionist was able to tell me my results were back and that they suggest I am diabetic but nothing more at this stage... I've been given an appointment with my doctor but it's not for another week. I'm guessing this is a good sign as if it was serious they'd have had me in immediately. Hopefully a bit of diet control and weight loss will see me good but I'll have to wait until next Tuesday evening to find out :laugh:
I would agree, good news, most likely, they would call you in straight away if you required immediate attention.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Had my appointment this evening - confirmed I've got secondary type 1 diabetes so not ideal. The GP was clearly outside of his comfort zone as apparently my test results didn't make a lot of sense :laugh:

Fasting glucose was 6.0 which is apparently slightly above 'normal' but not quite Diabetic
2hr glucose was 11.8 which is apparently Diabetic (should have been 7.8 or below?)
Hba1c was normal (I forget the actual number)

The Hba1c was what he was struggling to understand, because it suggests overall my blood sugar level is roughly normal despite the glucose tolerance test showing a problem :laugh:

Anyway, I've been referred to an Endocrinologist so we'll see what they make of it :okay: For the moment I've been told to carry on as I have been, but to avoid large doses of sugar because I clearly can't handle it as well as I ought :laugh:

C R

Guru
Had my appointment this evening - confirmed I've got secondary type 1 diabetes so not ideal. The GP was clearly outside of his comfort zone as apparently my test results didn't make a lot of sense :laugh:

Fasting glucose was 6.0 which is apparently slightly above 'normal' but not quite Diabetic
2hr glucose was 11.8 which is apparently Diabetic (should have been 7.8 or below?)
Hba1c was normal (I forget the actual number)

The Hba1c was what he was struggling to understand, because it suggests overall my blood sugar level is roughly normal despite the glucose tolerance test showing a problem :laugh:

Anyway, I've been referred to an Endocrinologist so we'll see what they make of it :okay: For the moment I've been told to carry on as I have been, but to avoid large doses of sugar because I clearly can't handle it as well as I ought :laugh:
The hba1c being normal is good news, it means your overall glucose levels are as they should be.

The glucose tolerance test is a bit of a sledge hammer, it takes the glucose levels a long way out of whack and sees how long it takes the body to bring them back. I guess in your case it isn't unexpected to take longer. The hba1c levels would indicate that in normal circumstances your body is coping ok.

In any case, the endocrinologist should be able to clarify all your questions.

Top Bottom