blue LED lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Cycle paramedics can often get to the scene of an emergency very quickly in central London - the last thing we need is idiots putting blue lights on ordinary bicycles and leading people to ignore them.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Thing to remember here guys (not with standing the legality issues) is the unpredictable reaction drivers seem to have to a flashing blue light. Some of my scariest moments, either driving (on blues) or as a cyclist have been because drivers have paniced on seeing blue lights / hearing sirens etc. Everything from jaming on the anchors to swerving out of the way, without looking. It may seem great, your filtering down the middle of the road, everybody getting out of the way. It just takes one numpty to swerve out of your way and hit another cyclist or pedestrian and you could be facing time sat in a very small room with no prospect of riding for a few years! Not to mention indirectly causing the death or serious injury of another road user.
Emergency response drivers, through training and experience understand and anticipate the moves....you will NOT!

OP
OP
S

szygy

Thanks for the clarification guys. I have not used the blue LEDs for a couple of years BTW, and when I did they were not on my bike, but in my hand.
The way I would generally (mis) use them was in the dark unlit roads, and would flash my torch a couple of times and then put it away.
Cars would not pull over, but would slow down to legal speeds quite quickly (it is a national limit road).
Yes I know it is not the right thing to do so want get any more (I got them in poundland), but thought I would confirm my legal suspicions.
Also is there a definition of what a 'blue' light is; i.e is there are tone chart showing how blue a light can be?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Funnily enough I met two of the folks living in our flats after getting home the other night, and they told me they thought I was a police speed trap and they had to slow down sharpish. Or rather the strobe setting on my Dinotte - so just red.

Top Bottom