Blue Mini HS03 FXF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gandalf

Veteran
I fully concur with Downfader's sentiments upthread. I have been following this thread with interest and to be honest it has left me feeling rather depressed. This thread is by no means atypical. It starts out with an example of very poor driving indeed, though as ever there are those who seem to think it is acceptable or at least very minor and not worth mentioning.

To a point I can understand the emphasis on trying to quantify the amount of danger caused to the OP and the other cyclist in the video. Physical injury or death will understandably trump merely being treated like sh1t. As usual we have had the usual batting to and fro of Highway Code extracts and the inevitable nit picking .

The 'message' I am getting is that unlike other spheres of human interaction, road users can be as rude, selfish and inconsiderate as they please. The only caveat seems to be that they have to prove in the court of public opinion that no physical injury was caused and that the the danger imposed was minimal.... that and having a larger, heavier vehicle to bully underlings out of the way.

I cannot speak on behalf of the cyclist that was left hooked but had I been placed in that position I would have felt ' harassment, alarm or distress', regardless of whether or not I had to brake or change direction.

What a sad and depressing prospect. Perhaps we could extend this philosophy more widely, no more having to apologise for inadvertently bumping into somebody's shopping trolley, you could jump queues with gay abandon and urinate in people's front gardens with impunity...it's not as if you are causing injury is it?

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
The 'message' I am getting is that unlike other spheres of human interaction, road users can be as rude, selfish and inconsiderate as they please. The only caveat seems to be that they have to prove in the court of public opinion that no physical injury was caused and that the the danger imposed was minimal.... that and having a larger, heavier vehicle to bully underlings out of the way.

+1

The point being missed is that he whole interaction between road users relies on us having th same reaction to the same circumstances

In this case the cyclist "knew" they could cycle across the junction because no-one should overtake or pull out in front of them. It is the same every time you look at another road user. You assume that they will act appropriately.

Most of this is entirely subconcious - next time you are out, analyse the decisions you are making a little more and it is amazing just how much trust you ut in other road users

People like this idiot in the Mini are simply too stupid or arrogant to take this on board and as a result are dangerous

LazyCat

I dare say the mini driver would not have attempted that manoeuvre if the cyclist and child was a big 50 ton truck capable of crushing her in seconds. Had she tried it, her ears would still be ringing from the air horn and swearing from the lorry driver.

Why such appalling driving all of a sudden becomes acceptable if you interchange a lorry for a cyclist is entirely beyond me.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
[QUOTE 1359753"]
Eh? That pic is posted from a rear facing camera and as such the bit where you'd ride (on the right hand side) there is hardly a hole worth mentioning.
[/quote]
Eh? No, that pic is posted from the front facing camera shot at 0:18, just after the poster has switched to that one. The hole is across several feet of the left hand part of the carriageway. :tongue:

EdgEy

Some of the posts above are quite hilarious. You get the feeling people are simply trying to be provocative.

You're basically saying that because noone was injured, it's fine. Perfectly fine and good chaps, move along.

Anyone reasonable can see that the manoeuvre in that video should have no place on our roads.

Stop being daft for the sake of an argument, please.

Eh? No, that pic is posted from the front facing camera shot at 0:18, just after the poster has switched to that one. The hole is across several feet of the left hand part of the carriageway. :tongue:

Yes, from the rear camera it looks like this:
index.php

And I would certainly not cross it at speed (mind you, I have 16" wheels and tend to be cautious when going over leaves)

Attachments

• screenshot_rear.png
    screenshot_rear.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 186

delport

Surely the experiences are just different in all parts of the country?

Quite a few times i've had drivers pass within a few inches of me, and i have thought that was a bit close, or why did he just cut me up from the left side totally unexpectedly, but the roads down here are incredibly busy.London was a worse place to cycle, than here in Hampshire.
But London and Hampshire are worse than other places i've lived in which were safer for cyclists.

I think the emotional part comes in because a child is involved in the video scenario.
As i said yesterday once we are out on the road we are at the mercy of everything and anything.

Some posters may sound cold, but they are probably not intending to be.If i have a close call i just get on with it and add it to my bad experiences of cycling, i've had more good than bad.

Jezston

Über Member
Some of the posts above are quite hilarious. You get the feeling people are simply trying to be provocative.

You're basically saying that because noone was injured, it's fine. Perfectly fine and good chaps, move along.

Anyone reasonable can see that the manoeuvre in that video should have no place on our roads.

+1

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
Worst part of that video is you riding in the middle of the carriageway primary lack of consideration for other road users IMO.

I bow to your superior mystical knowledge of that section of road, I have only ridden it twice a day for over three years but obviously still have a lot to learn, not :tongue:.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
It's really quite a stunning viewpoint, BRSU. Sometimes I lose all faith in humanity.

It's ironic, if the other cyclist had been in primary the mini would have more than likely not overtaken them and instead waited behind, then there would be no video or thread.

At the junction the other cyclist was overtaken, I was often left hooked by impatient drivers until I improved my road position.

lukesdad

I bow to your superior mystical knowledge of that section of road, I have only ridden it twice a day for over three years but obviously still have a lot to learn, not :tongue:.

Nothing mystical about it. You posted a video. I commented on it if you dont like the views you get, dont post a vid. and you re right there is no more you can learn !

lukesdad

Nothing daft or hilarious about road safety, and I cant see where anybody has stated the manoeuvre was fine, are you trying to be provocative by any chance ? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom