BMX for family rides!?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lancj1

Nice bike.

Re the BMX - I have ridden many a mile with my son (14) over the last few years. On mountain bikes, out on country roads in our patch which is well sited and now and again at official trails like Llandegla. One of my fondest memories will be of my son, on different bikes, zooming off ahead.

Anyway, that's gone now. Its BMX or bust. He got a Reebok BMX shaped object last Xmas, started whizzing everywhere on it, his mates at school discovered skate parks and this Xmas he was a lucky lad and got a quality BMX from "we the people". Its the most expensive of our bikes..... one brake, no gears, tiny little seat....

Anyway he wont ride with me anymore. Tough but that's kids. My role now is to drop him of at a skate park in the morning and pick him up at night. But hes out there, exercising, and hes on a bike. That's got to be a good thing :thumbsup:.....one day we will ride again.

Get him a BMX shaped object. It wont allow him to do the stunts he sees on youtube,but he cant do those anyway, and they can be got really cheaply. I honestly believe its the one area of biking where you would get away with a supermarket special.

Good luck

OP
OP
Emmaroid

Emmaroid

Thanks, I think you are right. I think if I am honest he isnt too bothered about coming out with us, its more me who wants to try and pull us together as a family. I think I will just sort me and my daughter out bike wise and if he asks without prompting to com then I shall look then. He has a scooter and is well into that so I guess like you say, he has a hobby....

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Can you insist on having a brake on the BMX though? Followed a lad down the road using the old foot on the back wheel today!

Lancj1

Strangely enough, my job today was taking the remaining rear caliper off. The front came with the bike un fitted. I suppose brakes don't really work in the air, and as we have discussed no ones going out on a bike ride. I looked on the web site of BMX makers wethepeople, which is the brand my lad has got, and the high end ones don't have them, the low end ones do. None are cheap mind, low end in context. Amazes me it costs so much with no gears etc, but the frames seem really high quality.

Top Bottom