Boardman ADV 8.9 Opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Good value bikes, can't fault my 2014 FS Pro MTB

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you testridden for yourself?
Other threads on the same bike if you use the search function
I’m happy with my Boardman other than the clicky clicky PF BB30. I’d now avoid a pressfit BB on a bike used regularly. The reviews on the BB fitted to that bike look pretty poor

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
They look a good bike and get good reviews. I think it was well placed in road.cc bike of the year in it's category too.

As for any other suggestions, have a look at the Giant Contend - the SL2 comes in bang on the C2W limit. I've got the SL1 and think it's a fantastic bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
They look a good bike and get good reviews. I think it was well placed in road.cc bike of the year in it's category too.

As for any other suggestions, have a look at the Giant Contend - the SL2 comes in bang on the C2W limit. I've got the SL1 and think it's a fantastic bike.
Isn’t it quite road oriented for a mucky commute?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Good choice I'd say for the money. If you do have problems with the press fit BB there are fixes.
Decathlon worth a look as suggested above. Plus they give a lifetime warranty on the frame.

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Thanks all, the bottom bracket (FSA BB-4000, MegaExo) is threaded though isn't it?

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Thanks for all he suggestions. Will probably order it then, as soon as the certificate comes through.
Easy enough to change a threaded bb if it’s truly awful.

John_S

Über Member
Hi mynydd,

I like the look of the bike, the colour scheme appeals to me, and the fact that it comes with hydraulic disc brakes on a bike at the £1,000 price point is a big bonus.

One thing to consider is the geometry of the bike. A reason for mentioning this is because in the past I've ruled out buying a Boardman bike, the ASR 8.9, because just for me personally the geometry was too aggressive with the reach being too long and the stack too low for me personally to be comfortable on it. I'll admit that I've not checked in detail the geometry of this bike the ADV 8.9 though when trying to take a quick look just now I note that on the Boardman website there not published reach or stack figures for this bike. However just because the geometry doesn't work for me doesn't mean that it won't work for you because in your case it could be absolutely perfect because fit is a personal and subjective thing.

However it might be worth comparing what you can from the geometry chart to see how it compares to other bikes that you've ridden and have either liked or disliked due to their geometry. Alternatively if you can get some long test rides on the tyres of terrain that you'll actually use the bike on then that's a massive bonus but in the absence of being able to do that then looking at the geometry chart before you commit to the bike is not a bad thing to do.

If you get the bike then enjoy and I hope that it's a great bike for you!

John

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Hi mynydd,

I like the look of the bike, the colour scheme appeals to me, and the fact that it comes with hydraulic disc brakes on a bike at the £1,000 price point is a big bonus.

One thing to consider is the geometry of the bike. A reason for mentioning this is because in the past I've ruled out buying a Boardman bike, the ASR 8.9, because just for me personally the geometry was too aggressive with the reach being too long and the stack too low for me personally to be comfortable on it. I'll admit that I've not checked in detail the geometry of this bike the ADV 8.9 though when trying to take a quick look just now I note that on the Boardman website there not published reach or stack figures for this bike. However just because the geometry doesn't work for me doesn't mean that it won't work for you because in your case it could be absolutely perfect because fit is a personal and subjective thing.

However it might be worth comparing what you can from the geometry chart to see how it compares to other bikes that you've ridden and have either liked or disliked due to their geometry. Alternatively if you can get some long test rides on the tyres of terrain that you'll actually use the bike on then that's a massive bonus but in the absence of being able to do that then looking at the geometry chart before you commit to the bike is not a bad thing to do.

If you get the bike then enjoy and I hope that it's a great bike for you!

John
Good suggestion, I will do thanks.

Personally would go for Cube over Boardman and cheaper for 2018 model
https://www.stows.co.uk/10260/products/cube-nuroad-2018-adventure-bike-blackred.aspx

Thanks for the suggestion, I’m not keen on the mechanical disks though. Also I have a cube peloton that I’ve never really got on with tbh.

Top Bottom