Boardman ADV8.9E battery won't switch on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

areyouactuallymoving

Hi all,

I went to cycle back from work this evening, popped the battery back in (I take it out when the bike is parked up) and it just wouldn't switch on. Had over 60% battery left (reconfirmed when plugged into charger) checked all the connections all seemed fine, battery fitted properly all locked on etc., but wouldn't switch on.

Anyone had this problem before? Any ideas what could be causing it?

TIA

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I found this...

ebiketips review said said:
One thing to note with the Boardman is that the Fazua motor/battery unit locks in place. If the bike goes to sleep you need to turn it on from the battery, and you need to release the battery to do that; so if you don’t have the key with you and the bike goes into sleep mode, then you’re a bit stuck.

HERE.

Maybe that will help?

OP
OP
A

areyouactuallymoving

Thanks for that. It's not in sleep mode. I charged the battery up overnight and tried it again this morning. It now switches on, but just has one white light showing, which appears to indicate that the battery is flat, but as I said I charged the battery overnight - so probably a fault with the battery.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Could be the cold weather reducing the battery output causing the safety circuit to stop the battery discharging beyond a certain level, if a L-ion battery discharges beyond a certain voltage it damages the Cells

Thanks for that. It's not in sleep mode. I charged the battery up overnight and tried it again this morning. It now switches on, but just has one white light showing, which appears to indicate that the battery is flat, but as I said I charged the battery overnight - so probably a fault with the battery.
Maybe the charger?

If you have a multi meter then you could test them both

gzoom

Über Member
@areyouactuallymoving It probably a fault with the battery. Same thing happened to my Fazua pack just after the warranty ran out.

If you look on the Facebook book, it's sadly a common fault. £400 is the current cost of a new pack, and that's if you can get hold of one.

It's one of the reasons I didn't go for a Trek Domane LT+ with a Fazua pack for my road eBike purchase.

I don't know what capacity the battery is but its a common issue with low capacity battery packs because the discharge rate is higher per cell the cells don't last as long. So its quite common for cheap or light ebikes which have small capacity battery packs to fail earlier. Made worse of course if you have chosen a proprietary ebike motor system where they charge huge amounts for low capacity battery packs which have proprietary handshaking. The Bosch batteries self-brick if allowed to discharge too far as a way of preventing the batteries being re-celled at the end of life but this can also catch out users who don't keep their battery packs recharged and allow their battery packs to discharge too far. Only really an easy for fair weather or summer only cyclists. I don't know if Fazua batteries are designed to self-brick in the same way but doesn't sound like the cause here.

Generally Halfords do a fantastic range of bikes which are great value but when it comes to ebikes like most similar importers they use proprietary ebike solutions from one supplier and the Suntour HESC ebike system on many of their ebikes is also problematic compared to open non-proprietary ebike kits where any component can be replaced easily at a much better price.

The law also gives much better flexibility to ebike kits it seems with throttles allowed too;

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/dft-pedal-cycles-converted-twist-go-exempt-type-approval/

I'm a huge fan of non-proprietary ebike solutions, cheaper, often more reliable, easier to customise and better for the environment. Most ebikes in the world use throttle control too so you control exactly when you need power, no need to bother with power settings or link to cadence or torque.

graham warbr

I found this...

HERE.

Maybe that will help?

hi just reading your post and have it on good authority that when the latest firmware is added to the Boardman's app this will solve the problem been told you will no long need to remove battery if it goes into sleep mode . hope this helps graham

mtjnr

Regular
I don't know what capacity the battery is but its a common issue with low capacity battery packs because the discharge rate is higher per cell the cells don't last as long. So its quite common for cheap or light ebikes which have small capacity battery packs to fail earlier. Made worse of course if you have chosen a proprietary ebike motor system where they charge huge amounts for low capacity battery packs which have proprietary handshaking. The Bosch batteries self-brick if allowed to discharge too far as a way of preventing the batteries being re-celled at the end of life but this can also catch out users who don't keep their battery packs recharged and allow their battery packs to discharge too far. Only really an easy for fair weather or summer only cyclists. I don't know if Fazua batteries are designed to self-brick in the same way but doesn't sound like the cause here.

Generally Halfords do a fantastic range of bikes which are great value but when it comes to ebikes like most similar importers they use proprietary ebike solutions from one supplier and the Suntour HESC ebike system on many of their ebikes is also problematic compared to open non-proprietary ebike kits where any component can be replaced easily at a much better price.

The law also gives much better flexibility to ebike kits it seems with throttles allowed too;

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/dft-pedal-cycles-converted-twist-go-exempt-type-approval/

I'm a huge fan of non-proprietary ebike solutions, cheaper, often more reliable, easier to customise and better for the environment. Most ebikes in the world use throttle control too so you control exactly when you need power, no need to bother with power settings or link to cadence or torque.

I've been trying to decide whether to go for the boardman 8.9e ADV or to just get a non assisted version and whack a conversion kit on it mainly for the reasons you mention above. Once the proprietary parts start to fail you either can't find replacements or have to pay a fortune to replace. The problem with kits though as I understand it is you can't get them on the cycle2work schemes so your having to pay the full price. The other factor is the controller and batteries are ugly and tend to be very bulky. You can't win lol!

Jet73

Formerly known as bike
image.jpg

image.jpg

Top Bottom