Boardman cracked frame repair?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk Giggler

A recent attempt was made to steal my Boardman MX Sport but they couldn't break the lock so instead they bent both wheels and snapped the gear hanger. Also caused the frame to crack just below the seat by putting a boot against the frame and forcing it.

Halfords said i need to get a new bike or a new frame. I really hope this is not the case and the frame can be repaired so that i can get back to commuting and weekend rides.

bike.jpg
bike2.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially somewhere in or around Nottingham who could do the welding.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Unequivocally scrap!

NickNick

I presume its a heat treated aluminium frame? Based on a discussion with bloke from my LBS, you can't simply weld such frames, there's a specific process that needs doing that a few places can do, but its generally going to cost more than the frame is worth. Unless it was a frame worth several £k its not worth it.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I presume its a heat treated aluminium frame? Based on a discussion with bloke from my LBS, you can't simply weld such frames, there's a specific process that needs doing that a few places can do, but its generally going to cost more than the frame is worth. Unless it was a frame worth several £k its not worth it.

The LBS guy is right- the frame would need annealing after a weld and then it needs to look right as well. The frame's worth what? probs 100 quid in good condition?

Cost you 50 quid for a powder coat.

NickNick

The LBS guy is right- the frame would need annealing after a weld and then it needs to look right as well. The frame's worth what? probs 100 quid in good condition?

Cost you 50 quid for a powder coat.

Must admit, of all of the LBS around mine, he's the only one I trust and take what he says at face value. All of the others seems to know less than I've managed to teach myself and just seem interested in flogging you stuff you don't need. This LBS however is like stepping back in time, its 3rd gen family business and his knowledge is encyclopedic and he will chat away with you about bike mechanics for hours and charges a fraction of the price of the other shops!

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Must admit, of all of the LBS around mine, he's the only one I trust and take what he says at face value. All of the others seems to know less than I've managed to teach myself and just seem interested in flogging you stuff you don't need. This LBS however is like stepping back in time, its 3rd gen family business and his knowledge is encyclopedic and he will chat away with you about bike mechanics for hours and charges a fraction of the price of the other shops!

Then spend your money with him when you can. Is he also laconic and grumpy? If so he is even more worthy.

NickNick

Then spend your money with him when you can. Is he also laconic and grumpy? If so he is even more worthy.

Yes he is ^_^. Its the only bike shop I will spend any money in since I stumbled across it, even though its slightly further out. He'll even spend half an hour explaining best ways to do your repairs even though you've only gone and spent £5 on a part, a true gem and I try to throw what little spare money I have in their direction as such places are rare as rocking horse sh#t these days. The shops been there for decades (business first set up in 1905) and its got that amazing smell that old factories/mechanic shops have, he makes and customises his own tools...

Its quite funny reading the online reviews, the bulk of customers can't recomend him enough, but there's a handful that get really upset that its not like going to Evans Cycles :banghead:

Tangoup51

A recent attempt was made to steal my Boardman MX Sport but they couldn't break the lock so instead they bent both wheels and snapped the gear hanger. Also caused the frame to crack just below the seat by putting a boot against the frame and forcing it.

Halfords said i need to get a new bike or a new frame. I really hope this is not the case and the frame can be repaired so that i can get back to commuting and weekend rides.

View attachment 378173 View attachment 378174

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially somewhere in or around Nottingham who could do the welding.

That really p!sses me off. I've always been paranoid about that happening to my bikes during lockup - sad to hear it happened to yours. I Own the CX 2014 which shares a very similar frame to yours, they're notoriously strong and rigid.

The alloy they use on our bikes is 7000 series Alloy, 7005 to be exact - now this is hard for me to find as evidence as boardman only call it "X7 alloy"

I was unable to find any relation to that word apart from "7X" which is a common two-key phrase for "7XXX" - meaning the entirety of the 7000 series.

7000 series aren't great for welding with, there are problems with cracking and corrosion, apart from 3 series in that family; 7003, 7005 and 7039.

With the right filler (5356) 7005 can weld just fine. - The other advantage with 7005 welding is that it doesn't require liquid cooling when its heat treated, it can be air cooled throughout its whole process.

7005 requires less temp to artificially age it (Sub <400F?, this part is from memory.) than other series of alu alloys like 6000

So actually, a repair is quite plausible.

However, the problem is boardman bikes go for extensively good 2nd hand value, and by that I mean you can pick up a similar bike (cx or another mx) for £300 or less from the 2nd hand market. It's up to you, but there are your options. (or even, buy the frame 2nd hand, which can be Incredibly cheap too.)

Also, invest in an Alarmed lock if you haven't already, it can deter people from doing any further damage.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It’s fecked. Even if you fixed it up by welding could you put your hand on your heart and tell a prospective buyer about the repair and expect them to buy? Plus you don’t know if the scroats bents anything else out of shape.
Get a good steel frame and transfer the bits over.

Top Bottom