Boardman CX Comp?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum so would first of all like to say how much good information, helpful posts and general detail in contains, it really is a pleasure to read! But now to the heart of the post, Im seriously considering a cyclocross bike, namely; The Boardman CX comp! Yet I'm a little sceptical on its performance as a road bike? I've hear other cyclists mention the added strain to the wheel from the disc brake and was worried this could effect the overall feel and stiffness on the road? If anyone could outline possible points of consideration/reassurance it would be greatly appreciated. If anyone is wondering why cyclocross rather than a full roadie this is due to future touring I'm hoping to complete on it, I figured the extra strength of the frame and the disc brakes would come into there own in the touring aspect.
Thanks in advance!

Kies

Welcome. If your planning on touring,then I would look at a touring road bike. It will have clearances for wider tyres,mudguards and racks to fit panniers.

RhythMick

Über Member
As Kies said, consider clearances from the outset as well as rack/guard mounts.
I don't know where the concern about disc brakes comes from. AFAIK wheels will last longer because the rims aren't being worn away.

If you're seriously thinking about touring, I've heard that a steel frame will be more comfortable though I can't speak personally.

Finally, most CX bikes will have drop bars I think. Consider how you want to ride - speed or comfort.

Last edited:

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
i have the cx team...great bike..i have done 90 milers on it...the only thing to consider is the weight the oem wheelset is heavy which is really noticeable on climbs and you'll notice it riding in a group with folk on road bikes ive found even on decents the other guys can coast where as i have to pedal to keep up.

Uppy89

I don't have the CX bike but I do ride a Boardman and if the quality is the same, as I'm sure it will be, then you won't be dissapointed. The Boardmans seem very very well made.

OP
OP
Gregcycle

Gregcycle

Regular
Thank you for all the replies, have been very helpful and after a lot of pondering i've decided to go for the new 2014 cx comp that looks gorgeous and comes out in a week or so! :biggrin: Will post pictures and my thoughts after purchase!

Uppy89

Have you got a link to the 2014 CX Comp? It's a bike which has always appealed to me but on the Boardman website, it says this bike isn't available in the UK..?

Uppy89

Just asked the man himself on Twitter if the CX Comp is available/will be available in the UK and got this response:

"Will be in a few weeks. CX bikes my favorite too"

OP
OP
Gregcycle

Gregcycle

Regular
I work in halfords so get to see everything before hand! It's been on our shop floor for a few weeks now, despite not coming out till the 28th I believe! it's black and dark blue, nice looking thing, reminds me a giant colour scheme.

Uppy89

I work in halfords so get to see everything before hand! It's been on our shop floor for a few weeks now, despite not coming out till the 28th I believe! it's black and dark blue, nice looking thing, reminds me a giant colour scheme.

Shame it isn't white like the 2013 model in my opinion! One of the things that drew me to it if I'm honest but there is more to a bike than a paint scheme!

Top Bottom