Boardman CX Comp?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

evo456

Über Member
I rode the both Boardman Comp and Team CX , the team is definitely lighter and more responsive of the two, perhaps due to the thicker tyre of the comp it felt a bit more comfortable. The comp IMO has the nicer colour scheme and in all honestly for the 1kg and £300 difference between the two the Comp is a good bike, though the first thing to upgrade would probably be the brakes to BB7 which can be done under £100. The rest of the price difference is down to how much you value the diff between the SRAM vs Shimano groupset and the carbon vs alloy fork.

Ollie W

Cycling pls
I'm sorely tempted... If the Crosstrail hasn't been recovered by the end of the month I'm seriously going to think about getting this. Will be strange riding drops for the first time. Are the brakes easy to change?

Dave W

I've got the team on order. Should have it by Monday or Tuesday if my cycle to work scheme allow me to have a second bike. Feels a bit strange after a flat bar hybrid but I can't wait. Longer rides were starting to cripple my hands and wrists.

Dave W

Bike is here. Loving the paint finish, looks great in the flesh.

Halfords sadly let themselves down again. I did rush them when I went to pick it up because I was very short on time but the gears were no where near indexed correctly, brakes weren't right either and one of the tyres was on backwards but a couple of hours fettling sorted it all out.

Only fly in the ointment is the lack of front mudguard lugs on the fork but I'm sure I can bodge round it. Also not sure about the BB5 brakes after using hydraulics for years but we'll see.

Overall very happy and can't wait to give it a good blast.

Have had a team hybrid for over 2 years and will be a bit sad to see it go.

MrDampy

Regular
Bike is here. Loving the paint finish, looks great in the flesh.

Halfords sadly let themselves down again. I did rush them when I went to pick it up because I was very short on time but the gears were no where near indexed correctly, brakes weren't right either and one of the tyres was on backwards but a couple of hours fettling sorted it all out.

Only fly in the ointment is the lack of front mudguard lugs on the fork but I'm sure I can bodge round it. Also not sure about the BB5 brakes after using hydraulics for years but we'll see.

Overall very happy and can't wait to give it a good blast.

Have had a team hybrid for over 2 years and will be a bit sad to see it go.

Typical Halfords!

Ollie W

Cycling pls
That does put me off slightly. I'd rather have a bike working first time, especially as I'm a newbie at this sort of thing! But I await your experiences with interest.

MrDampy

Regular
That does put me off slightly. I'd rather have a bike working first time, especially as I'm a newbie at this sort of thing! But I await your experiences with interest.

Put you off Halfords!
Oh, think you start at Halfords then Gradually move up to LBS!
But even they get it wrong,

Dave W

Don't be put off by Halfords, worst case scenario is that it's wrong and you keep taking it back until it's right. The bikes make up for the staff, not all of whom are useless.

I simply lack patience and prefer to do it myself rather than keep taking the bike back. The only reason they built it for me is I wanted to try the size or I'd have had it boxed. My hybrid team has been solid as a rock (once I set it up properly) and after 2 years and over 2k in all weathers and on all surfaces it hasn't missed a beat.

Ollie W

Cycling pls
Put you off Halfords!
Oh, think you start at Halfords then Gradually move up to LBS!
But even they get it wrong,
Well, the last one was built by the LBS who didn't write down the serial number so it doesn't leave me with much hope! To be fair my wife's Pendleton is fine, just was a bit squeaky to start. I guess I'll just take it to someone who knows what they're doing after it's built.

evo456

Über Member
Got the CX Comp on order.. can't wait till it gets here, in the end the 50% extra couldn't quite justify the Team for me, I'll just have to upgrade the bits when I get a chance, most likely the brakes first :tongue:

videoman

Guru
Went to look at one yesterday but they did not have one in but said they could get one for me to sit on by today. After the usual unnecessary name, address, phone number etc I was told it would be available between 3.00pm and 5.00pm to try. I told them as I work for myself and if a job came in I would not be possibly able to make it between those times I was then asked for a refundable holding deposit to which I told them to remove my details from their computer and I would take my business elsewhere.

stato

Had the Team for a week now, Have been very happy with it, but am struggling to find a set of mudguards, I know SKS chromoplastics where used with the old cx but the front forks have no eyelets. Has anyone managed to get round this or use the hole that goes straight through the carbon forks at the top? Any help appreciated

Halfords did a very poor job at setting the bike up which is a real shame as the bike is fantastic. The headset was loose, front mech cable sprung loose on first ride and was incorrectly aligned, the brakes have not been tweaked, oh and my saddle was slightly lose too, I don't mind setting up my bike but when you get a tick sheet stating its been checked and counter signed I expect better!

I really like the sram double tap shifters, although it has a microshift front mech I will hardly be using the smaller chain ring so it will get little use anyway. I waited for a size S which Halfords will not stock only XS (50cm) so went for the medium (53cm) im 5. 6" and find this bike is a good fit, not sure if the 2013 had a longer top tube as everyone kept telling me to get the smaller frame?

evo456

Über Member
Went to look at one yesterday but they did not have one in but said they could get one for me to sit on by today. After the usual unnecessary name, address, phone number etc I was told it would be available between 3.00pm and 5.00pm to try. I told them as I work for myself and if a job came in I would not be possibly able to make it between those times I was then asked for a refundable holding deposit to which I told them to remove my details from their computer and I would take my business elsewhere.

That's pretty poor, my local shop had it at the back still in the box waiting to go on display. The chap happily took my name and number said he would called me back when it was built for me to sit on, and hold onto it should I decide to buy it there then before. The call back was within the day, but it was late so I couldn't make my way back to see it. Overall I was delighted with the approach, because they could have very easily said they didn't have the bike in stock yet.

evo456

Über Member
Had the Team for a week now, Have been very happy with it, but am struggling to find a set of mudguards, I know SKS chromoplastics where used with the old cx but the front forks have no eyelets. Has anyone managed to get round this or use the hole that goes straight through the carbon forks at the top? Any help appreciated

P-Clips or a classy cable tie ^_^.

Pics on thread of a rider securing a mud guard to the fork using P-Clips where there were no eyelets on the fork. Hope this helps:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12916290&p=18258204

Top Bottom