Boardman CXR vs ADV vs Giant Toughroad SLR 0

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peedee

Looking for a new commuter, with some off-roading.

I like the idea of 1x11 so am tempted by the CXR 8.9 and the SLR 0. Can't see any difference in the spec, apart from the tyres (tubeless on the Giant) and the Boardman colour scheme that only a mother could love. Is the Boardman a better buy at ~ £600 less?

Or is the ADV gravel the more sensible choice (though if I wanted sensible, I'd buy a hybrid).

Cross vs Gravel seems to be so close that I can't tell the difference, or work out what I need (ok, want).

Note: I _won't_ be racing it. Not at all. Nope.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go try them both out (and anything else of a similar spec that takes your fancy :okay: )

Giant have a slight reduction on the 2018 https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/t...MI4OTBqcvM4AIVj-R3Ch2RqwoKEAQYBiABEgIvVPD_BwE

But of course you can get 10% off the Boardman at Halfords with British Cycling membership

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If the same spec then the Boardman is definitely the better buy at six hundred quid less.
A cross bike is likely to have more aggressive geometry which you probably will hardly notice in day to day use. So called gravel bikes will tend to have a longer wheelbase and a more upright more relaxed style.
Which do you think best suits your riding?
The latter will be better suited to touring if that's something you might do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

peedee

Go try them both out (and anything else of a similar spec that takes your fancy :okay: )

Giant have a slight reduction on the 2018 https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/t...MI4OTBqcvM4AIVj-R3Ch2RqwoKEAQYBiABEgIvVPD_BwE

But of course you can get 10% off the Boardman at Halfords with British Cycling membership

Yep - will be taking a few test rides this weekend. Very tempted by the Giant though:
- LBS selling the Giant will give me an advance on my C2W, so no waiting
- Also a discount if I buy 'today' (me: "you're not married are you?")
- It's orange

OP
OP
P

peedee

If the same spec then the Boardman is definitely the better buy at six hundred quid less.
A cross bike is likely to have more aggressive geometry which you probably will hardly notice in day to day use. So called gravel bikes will tend to have a longer wheelbase and a more upright more relaxed style.
Which do you think best suits your riding?
The latter will be better suited to touring if that's something you might do.
I was in Cycle Republic and looked at the ADV and CXR side-by-side. Neither me or the shop assistant could spot the difference in the frame.

Cross bikes seem to go for the 1x11 gears - I like the simplicity of this and fine for short distances, but would I run out of gear options if I tried to do some touring? Also, the cross seems to have more knobbly tyres. But is this good or bad for my purposes. Lots to think on.

It's fun choosing isn't it. :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You might not be able to see a difference but have a look on the Boardman site to check the frame geometry.
The 1x 11 configuration is fashionable right now but it should give you low enough gears for touring just that there will be a bigger jump between gears compared to a 3x 11 or 2x 11 set up.
Also check the frame has the necessary braze ons for you.
Knobblies will have more rolling resistance on the road, but depends on your purposes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

peedee

Took a Boardman ADV 8.8 for a spin today. Nice ride but the mech discs suck big time. No hope of stopping whilst on the hoods.

Sora shifters, meh.

Hoping the 8.9 is better at stopping (if I can find one around here).

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/toughroad-slr-1-2019

Just bought this ^^ end of last year - very happy so far - it replaced my old giant hybrid - i went for it over a gravel - or c-cross ( which i had considered)

because the frame geometry, and flat bars suit my riding style better.

(although I'm considering either bar ends or butterflies for longer tours)

Plus it comes with pannier racks, as standard

Its 'tubeless enabled' - but i didn't, or havent yet, opted for that

Very nice handling and a smooth operator esp the disc brakes - although i didn't try a Boardman - or much else so its hard to compare.

Sourced through LBS for all the good reasons - follow up service great - and 'use it or lose it' etc etc.

OP
OP
P

peedee

Looks very nice. I'm looking for drops though. All the provaricating is me hoping to justify the SLR GX 0 of course (but you knew that).

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Looks very nice. I'm looking for drops though. All the provaricating is me hoping to justify the SLR GX 0 of course (but you knew that).

just buy what you want - on long term credit - the earth is due to go up in smoke within five years - the bankers will all be gnawing on each others shin bones by then - so make merry with the wonga :-)

vickster

Legendary Member
Took a Boardman ADV 8.8 for a spin today. Nice ride but the mech discs suck big time. No hope of stopping whilst on the hoods.

Sora shifters, meh.

If it’s not got hydraulic discs, you can add crosslever brakes. Easy to upgrade to the excellent TRP Spyres

mynydd

Veteran

Sora shifters, meh.

I’ve just bought the ADV 8.9 on the c2w scheme. The brakes are fantastic, really powerful. I’m pretty happy with the bike, only slight negative (and it is a little one) is it’s quite a beast to haul uphill.... but my morning commutes, all downhill are now great fun... and the return home is just extra training ^_^

Top Bottom