Boardman Elite URB 8.9

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sixmile

Veteran
I was in my local Halfords on Saturday, basically just to let the kids rip about on the bikes inside for a while. I got talking to one of the staff members about bikes. I wasn't necessarily looking anything but with our recent announcement in work that we've joined the Cycle 2 Work scheme, my n+1 alarm has been ringing.

Anyway, the fella introduced me to the Boardman range of commuters and I must admit, I have been pretty impressed with what I read about these bikes. I don't need another bike but I'd love something that is minimal maintenance and is a bit lighter. My commute is around 13 miles in length each way, with half of it on country roads with a few average enough climbs thrown in. For that I'm mainly riding a 2014 Specialized Crosstrail with front suspension. Now I know these Boardman's are city bikes as such but I'm wondering how they'd fair out on the open roads. Tire clearance is another consideration but I've read that someone has 42c on theirs, which to me would be very tight.

The bike retails at £849. We have a code through work to get 10% off the purchase. If that works, with the 32% saving through C2W, I should be able to have this bike for £520 paying £43 per month so definitely affordable.

So sensible and reasoned folk of CC, tell me I'm mad or it seems like a good option. Does anyone have experience of hub gears over the course of a few years? What other considerations must I think about?

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/boardman-elite-urb-8-9-men-s-hybrid-bike-2019.html

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm certain you'd enjoy that. Those Alfine hubs are brilliant, low maintenance too. Bit lighter than your current commuter.

D

Deleted member 23692

Alfine 8 is a great bombproof reliable low-maintenance drivetrain. Mine's great for commuting and ripping about town on. It's 4 year old and never missed a beat, and on the rare occasion it needs a service it's dead simple, if a little messy till you get the hang of it

Other spec could be better for the price tho... but IMO that's the same for all boardmans. But with the discount you get, the spec is good for what you'd actually end up paying.

OP
OP
Sixmile

Sixmile

Veteran
Very nice bike, I prefer strong bright colours, That would be my only upgrade

I 100% agree. I would love it in the blue that the HYB boardman bikes come in but I think this is any colour as long as it's black.

Alfine 8 is a great bombproof reliable low-maintenance drivetrain. Mine's great for commuting and ripping about town on. It's 4 year old and never missed a beat, and on the rare occasion it needs a service it's dead simple, if a little messy till you get the hang of it

Other spec could be better for the price tho... but IMO that's the same for all boardmans. But with the discount you get, the spec is good for what you'd actually end up paying.

Good to know that you've gotten 4 years without much hassle.

Check you cannot get the additional discount on C2W - when I was last looking into it, staff in my local Halfords said that other discounts could not be applied on C2W.

By the rules I shouldn't get the discount. But then again, playing by the rules BC 10% shouldn't apply to already discounted goods but nearly every time I get the discount without question. Heck, when I was buying my fat bike, I got 20% off an already heavily discounted bike because he couldn't apply my BC discount so gave me his staff rate! The 10% will probably be the deal breaker for me to be fair.

Top Bottom