Boardman fork snapped what should I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randommoose

Über Member
Hi,

I have a Boardman Hybrid Pro, bought (second hand) recently, excellent condition, I took it to be serviced two days ago (by a local bike shop that has done other work for me and is very good). Had one of the brakes bled too and pedals changed.

My husband just tried it round the garden (smallish garden, only walking/jogging speed) and upon braking the front fork snapped with a bang (husband is fine). It is about 3/4 of the way through the metal as far as we can see.

I'm really shaken as I have bought this for a year away, lots of riding planned, some pulling a trailer (hence getting disc brakes) and it could have happened in a much more dangerous location or faster speed. I've just recently bought this for £500 as it is in perfect condition and just spent £90 on services, brakes and pedals and I can't afford to just throw that money away. But will the bike be safe again? I don't want to risk riding something dangerous.

What should I do now? The Boardman warranty is only to the original buyer. Would sale of goods cover it (I don't know more than the name and a 6(?) year limit)? Or do I need to buy new forks - where from?

Sorry if this is over dramatic, I'm upset and don't know what to do next.

Moose

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Hi,

I have a Boardman Hybrid Pro, bought (second hand) recently, excellent condition, I took it to be serviced two days ago (by a local bike shop that has done other work for me and is very good). Had one of the brakes bled too and pedals changed.

My husband just tried it round the garden (smallish garden, only walking/jogging speed) and upon braking the front fork snapped with a bang (husband is fine). It is about 3/4 of the way through the metal as far as we can see.

I'm really shaken as I have bought this for a year away, lots of riding planned, some pulling a trailer (hence getting disc brakes) and it could have happened in a much more dangerous location or faster speed. I've just recently bought this for £500 as it is in perfect condition and just spent £90 on services, brakes and pedals and I can't afford to just throw that money away. But will the bike be safe again? I don't want to risk riding something dangerous.

What should I do now? The Boardman warranty is only to the original buyer. Would sale of goods cover it (I don't know more than the name and a 6(?) year limit)? Or do I need to buy new forks - where from?

Sorry if this is over dramatic, I'm upset and don't know what to do next.

Moose[/QUOTE
Hmm, maybe the bike wasn't in such a good condition as was advertised when you brought it. Is the front fork carbon or aluminium? Definitely contact the seller to start with and see what they say.

OP
OP
R

Randommoose

Über Member
I think the front fork is carbon on these. The seller rides road bikes and bought this for recovery from a back injury. He said he hardly rode it (borne out by the excellent condition, barely any wear to anything) before he was back to his road bikes. I'll contact him, and the bike shop too (check it wasn't dropped or anything) but the fork was perfectly smooth and shaped correctly, no marks or anything.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I think the front fork is carbon on these. The seller rides road bikes and bought this for recovery from a back injury. He said he hardly rode it (borne out by the excellent condition, barely any wear to anything) before he was back to his road bikes. I'll contact him, and the bike shop too (check it wasn't dropped or anything) but the fork was perfectly smooth and shaped correctly, no marks or anything.
Carbon is very strong, but it can snap catastrophically as has happened to you. It would have probably been cracked before it snapped. Unfortunately, unless you get x-rayed you can never tell sure if carbon has been damaged. There are tests you can do at home that go beyond just looking at it. You can't usually tell if a carbon fork has been damaged just by looking at it. Hopefully the seller didn't sell it because he knew it was cracked.

Ajax Bay

Guru
upon braking the front fork snapped with a bang (husband is fine). It is about 3/4 of the way through the metal as far as we can see.
I think the front fork is carbon on these.
So was it through to the metal? Not clear what part of the fork broke (not that any part should have).
Very fortunate that you had it tested by a willing fall guy first, before you took it on the road.

OP
OP
R

Randommoose

Über Member
I've emailed the seller and the bicycle shop I had it serviced at.

The paint was completely smooth before this happened

IMG_20171029_151257589.jpg

OP
OP
R

Randommoose

Über Member
I meant 3/4 of the way through the fork leg

pclay

Veteran
You can buy new forks, which will be cheaper than buying a new bike. Had you ridden the bike much before getting it serviced? Hard to tell if there was an existing fault or if the bike shop damaged it, you probably can't prove either. Personally I would look for a replacement for and swallow the cost. They are easy to replace yourself as well, you on,y need a set of Allen keys, and perhaps a rubber mallet.

I've emailed the seller and the bicycle shop I had it serviced at.

The paint was completely smooth before this happened

View attachment 380789

That break was brought on by applying the front brake as it mimics perfectly the torsion brought onto a fork whilst braking.

If the paint was perfectly smooth when you got the bike, neither the original owner nor the bike mechanic could have foreseen such a break. In my view it is a warrantee issue. Get the original owner to take it up with Boardman, if that is at all possible.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
They are easy to replace yourself as well, you on,y need a set of Allen keys, and perhaps a rubber mallet.

Don't forget you will also have to get the crown race of the old fork to fit to the new fork, or fit a new one and cut the steerer to the correct length.

I replaced some broken Cannondale forks with some from China they were fine.

johnnyb47

Guru
Good Point @ Smokin Joe.
I mirror your views on this. Boardman would no doubt be a little concerned to hear this especially if the has been well looked after. At the very least, they may replace the fork at a discount for you.

That break was brought on by applying the front brake as it mimics perfectly the torsion brought onto a fork whilst braking.

If the paint was perfectly smooth when you got the bike, neither the original owner nor the bike mechanic could have foreseen such a break. In my view it is a warrantee issue. Get the original owner to take it up with Brompton, if that is at all possible.
I was thinking along similar lines.

Top Bottom