Boardman fork snapped what should I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
If no help is forthcoming from Boardman PLC how about trying to tweet Chris Boardman himself?

Glad you were not injured as a result of this failure. Fitting a replacement fork is not a complicated affair, you or hubby could do it yourself if either of you are a competent DIYers, if necessary, cutting down the steerer and press fitting bearings might be the hardest parts for a newbie and warrant a trip to a mechanic. Otherwise, you are just swapping the components over to the new fork. You can save the easy parts for yourself if you are looking to save on labour. As other's have suggested, boardman bikes may offer to replace the fork, just don't accept the same model for obvious design flaws!

OP
OP
R

Randommoose

Über Member
I chased up Boardman and the warranty manager got back to me to say they need to know where and when it was bought before they can do anything further. So I have emailed the seller to ask him (and informed Boardman that I am waiting for his reply).

Thank you @Rickshaw Phil . I didn't see the post about money but would be very grateful to not have to justify it. I spent what I did and if the bike hadn't broken, would be perfectly happy with the price paid so that doesn't need discussion. I am stressed and money is tight but that only affects what I need to pay now, not in the past.

Hopefully Boardman will step up and do something helpful. It's just a lot of waiting around at the moment.

OP
OP
R

Randommoose

Über Member
Glad you were not injured as a result of this failure. Fitting a replacement fork is not a complicated affair, you or hubby could do it yourself if either of you are a competent DIYers, if necessary, cutting down the steerer and press fitting bearings might be the hardest parts for a newbie and warrant a trip to a mechanic. Otherwise, you are just swapping the components over to the new fork. You can save the easy parts for yourself if you are looking to save on labour. As other's have suggested, boardman bikes may offer to replace the fork, just don't accept the same model for obvious design flaws!

We are pretty competent at DIY just really short of time! I've got a good local bike shop that can do the harder work and we will do any easy and quick bits.

I hope Boardman will offer something as it is ridiculous for an excellent condition bicycle to snap through metal at less than 10mph. That's a good point to get a different model!

OP
OP
R

Randommoose

Über Member
Another update:

Boardman have replied to say I'm not covered by warranty as I'm the second owner. They said I "may" (!) be able to buy new forks to it and ask Halfords to contact customer services on my behalf.

I've been really disappointed and surprised at the delays in replies, short answers and not even any sort of " we are sorry to hear that happened", let alone offer to replace.

I'm trying to think how to reply about this being (in my opinion) a structural fault and so not fit for purpose. A 3 year old bike not used much, kept in excellent condition should not have metal snapping when ridden slowly on the flat (in my opinion). Any suggestions for what I should say? I've not had to chase up something like this before. Or do I just give up pursuing then, take it as bad luck and avoid buying another Boardman in the future? I will fix this one and use it as I can't afford something else and frankly it is a really nice bike.

It is all very disappointing.

The forks of the Boardman Hybrid Pro are made of carbon fibre. The ends of the fork, where the axle attached are metal, so is the disk brake fixing bracket. The fork seemed to have broken at the junction between the aluminium end piece and the carbon tube. I would like to see a cross section, sawn vertically down the fork to see what the profile looks like. Is there a manufacturing fault in the carbon, for instance a fold or crease in the layup fabrics. Is the junction between aluminium and carbon a sudden step or a gradual change in thickness?
There may be some people who could investigate your fork.

personally I don't think you will get anywhere with boardman unfortunately, as said warranty is with original owner and as you told them you are not, it wont make any difference if the seller contacts boardman as he is no longer the owner and they now know this,
I would have a look at the link provided by @Globalti , I understand your frustration and I would have hoped for something of a goodwill gesture from boardman bikes,
annoying as it is don't let it eat away at you and try to move on.

Given that the warranty isn't transferable, you are stuck with convincing Boardman Bikes into replacing the forks with the grace and cooperation of the original owner. Essentially you'd have to ask the original owner to be initiate the warranty returns and handle everything on their end. This is all only possible if the bike is still under its own manufacturer warranty and the seller also retained their proof of purchase and are prepared to go through the hassle of the returns process, deal with shipping, receipt of new forks etc.

Unless lady luck is on your side and this guy is a saint and is prepared to help you out, you are stuck with obtaining a new set of forks out of pocket, however even the returns procedure could cost you money as Boardman are not obligated to pay for shipping of the forks for inspection, and for delivery of replacement goods. All of this would take extra time too. Clearly their Q&A team are not the most generous, quickest or efficient team.

New forks don't cost the earth and you can have this all sorted for a lot less hassle if you DIY, and the positive side to this is you don't have to opt for their poor craftsmanship and go to a brand you trust.

Personally, my next step would depend on how much I trust the guy that sold you the bike, do you think you would be asking them a lot for this kind of support. It won't hurt to find out. But I would be half tempted to just buy some new carbon forks elsewhere and get a LBS to fit it for piece of mind and a quick turnaround.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Randommoose

Über Member
Thank you for your replies, it is really nice to have some social support while dealing with this. It is also really nice to have all the useful information I have been given.

@MichaelW2 Once I've changed the forks then I (or someone else) could have a closer look.
@roadrash Good advice not to let it eat at me - I'm very prone to doing that! As you say, move on and look at @Globalti 's link
@confusedcyclist I'm not going to get the original owner to pursue it as I am the owner now. There was no visible fault and he has been extremely helpful the whole way through from before I bought it up to now and I don't think it is any fault of his. As you say it is less hassle to just sort it out.

I'll probably ask at a Halfords to see if they offer replacement forks (as it was bought from Halfords near me in 2014). But I won't be surprised if they say tough luck.

I'll probably ask at a Halfords to see if they offer replacement forks (as it was bought from Halfords near me in 2014). But I won't be surprised if they say tough luck.
Sure, ask halfords, but they are notoriously stingy, and they're are under no obligation to replace components from a 2014 model bike. I wouldn't trust them to do the work or waste a trip there unless it's on the way to something else! Go to a reputable independant bike shop for the parts and fitting.

OP
OP
R

Randommoose

Über Member
Sure, ask halfords, but they are notoriously stingy, and they're are under no obligation to replace components from a 2014 model bike. I wouldn't trust them to do the work or waste a trip there unless it's on the way to something else! Go to a reputable independant bike shop for the parts and fitting.
Hmm, yes I wasn't planning on them doing any work as I wouldn't trust it. But if they offer to supply the forks then I'll take that up. I've got one a 5 minute drive away so will ask just in case but won't hold my breath. I have a good independent shop I will use for the work

Tangoup51

@Randommoose

I Read this thread a ways ago and I noticed how alot of people were assuming that because it is a Serious fault it is liable to be taken Seriously, however this is incredibly true if you are 1) Within the Warranty date. (Boardman alloy frames are warranted 2 year after purchase; Any Carbon items are warranted 3 years from purchase date)

and 2) you have proof of purchase/ownership. - Granted, it is true Boardman can offer "deals" to you even after your Warranty date has expired, though that varies how long it is out of warranty, but there is simply no way they can market you in any sort of significant deal if you're not the owner.

It's simply because they're a company and need to make money, they would lose alot of money if they Warranted bikes that have no liable owners.

I would like to mention to you, my experience with Boardman forks have been mixed. - When tightened down My forks on my CX 2014 actually touch the disc rotor bolts and have taken "nicks" out of the paint. - Upon mentioning this to Boardman they snapply put me in touch with their local mechanics and we conclude a safe hotfix, I got a replacement.

I went to the same Halfords I bought it from (I use to work there) to ask for a replacement fork. - They have about 20-30 bikes in the back that were All either "Built-up but customers never collected" or more commonly "Returned after being crashed" but was so damaged it could not be put back for sale on shop floor as "second hand" - because of those reasons they found my bike and gave me an immediate replacement fork.

Considering it was 2 years since I bought that bike from them, you would be surprised how many old bikes they have laying around.

If nothing else though, you can always go to your LBS. - I estimate the price you'll have to spend is £50 to £150 but my boardman forks are worth around £80.00.

Top Bottom