Boardman HYB 8.9 ebike gear changing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pioneer303

Hi All in the know,
My recently acquired cycle is very clankey when changing gear, I have taken it back to Halford's on 3 occasions now and most recently to have a new 10 Cassette fitted, due to the chain hanging up on change, and it is still clanking away! The cycle Mechanic said it was due to the rather large sprockets on the cassette. Anyone else with a similar problem? If you had and sorted it out, can you pass on the information please. Love the bike but could do without the noise. Thanks.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I had a HYB8.8 earlier this year and this issue to start with. After adjusting the HL screw, cable tension, oiling chain and clamping down the grey lever thingy on the Derailier that allows you to remove the rear wheel the problem went away.

If you have had it back to Halfords several time and they still have not fixed it - then I would suggest that this time you take it back and tell them that you either want it fixed or you want your money back.
In my experience different Halfords branches vary a lot - some have great cycle mechanics - but others have very little experience.
I know you say that you like the bike - but if they are messing you about I would get awkward while you guarantee and rights are still shiny and new

You could always go to another Halfords and try to get a test ride on an identical bike and see if that is the same - then if it is get you money back from the first store and by it again from the second

OP
OP
P

Pioneer303

I am still having clunking noises on changing gear! I took the bike to an in dependant cycle shop and they said it was due to having larger than most cassette similar to a MTB!! was away last week on holiday and it was awful to say the least, so back it will go to Halfords, not holding my breath. It is difficult to find a dealer that will have a new bike that I can test ride to check this fault out, a shortage of cycles apparently?

richtea

I have no problem either. I'm pretty sure that the rear derailleur is designed to cope with that large gear.

When you say 'clanky' is it clanky during the change, or is it clanky having finished?

Is the top jockey wheel nearly touching that big gear when you're in 1st/lowest gear?
If so, they have an adjuster screw to push the derailleur away from the gears (as in swing it away from the cogs slightly).
See Section 5 - The B screw in this article: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-adjustment

OP
OP
P

Pioneer303

I have no problem either. I'm pretty sure that the rear derailleur is designed to cope with that large gear.

When you say 'clanky' is it clanky during the change, or is it clanky having finished?

Is the top jockey wheel nearly touching that big gear when you're in 1st/lowest gear?
If so, they have an adjuster screw to push the derailleur away from the gears (as in swing it away from the cogs slightly).
See Section 5 - The B screw in this article: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-adjustment
Thanks for he advice richtea, I will check this adjustment. The bike was in for its first service check yesterday and Halfords once again said the cluncking gear change noise is normal on this type of bike, we will see.

richtea

Let us know how you get on!

Wooly67

Hi
I bought a Boardman 8.9 e with all the usual Problems here about Halfords. Mine has been in 3 times for a clicking noise on pedals or bottom Bracket somewhere. Anyway my question is ..I was looking underneath the bottom for my frame number and saw that there was a space showing 2 cables ( look like electric cables) this should surely have a cover on, does anyone know if this is right please

Attachments

• 707320BB-F006-451F-AB74-36E8F8CA58AA.jpeg
    707320BB-F006-451F-AB74-36E8F8CA58AA.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 62

gzoom

Über Member
I am still having clunking noises on changing gear! I took the bike to an in dependant cycle shop and they said it was due to having larger than most cassette similar to a MTB!!

Rubbish, my 8.9e has a particular hard week with rain/wind/sun lugging around 5-10kg of additional work gear than normal, me turning up the boost to 300Watts + whilst stamping on the pedals to, and today as I was riding home I was just admiring how well the Shimano Deore groupset has been so smooth despite all the abuse, infact the shifting isn't far off the Ultegra gears on my road bike.

I can try do a video for you with the bike stationary?

gzoom

Über Member
Here you go, filming one handed so had to change gear on the shifter than turn the crank. Most of the gears shift within half a turn of the crank, and when pedaling and shifting feels very smooth.

There is a 'clunk' when shifting down from a big rings to the small, but I think thats the derailleur design?

View: https://youtu.be/xjIRfk1S9bc

gzoom

Über Member
Hi
I bought a Boardman 8.9 e with all the usual Problems here about Halfords. Mine has been in 3 times for a clicking noise on pedals or bottom Bracket somewhere. Anyway my question is ..I was looking underneath the bottom for my frame number and saw that there was a space showing 2 cables ( look like electric cables) this should surely have a cover on, does anyone know if this is right please

The wires are normal.

Mine had to have a new BB fitted to remove the clunking/clicking noise, its working fine now and am very happy with it but my bike has been back to Halfords 4 times before they finally sorted it.

Keep chasing them to sort it out, its a £2k pedal bike not a £200 one.

Wooly67

The wires are normal.

Mine had to have a new BB fitted to remove the clunking/clicking noise, its working fine now and am very happy with it but my bike has been back to Halfords 4 times before they finally sorted it.

Thanks very much for your reply. I am currently waiting for the Manager to ring me. I will certainly do that.

Wooly67

The wires are normal.

Has there never been a cover over those wires , I was worried about them getting dirty or damaged ?

Top Bottom