Boardman HYB 8.9 ebike gear changing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richtea

There is no cover. I asked Fazua.

However, it's got lovely little holes to clip one in, if it existed.
I wait in hope of a 3D printing expert to dig us out.

We've had no problems with rain, so maybe that's why they never fitted one.

Wooly67

There is no cover. I asked Fazua.

However, it's got lovely little holes to clip one in, if it existed.
I wait in hope of a 3D printing expert to dig us out.

We've had no problems with rain, so maybe that's why they never fitted one.
Thanks very much for that , seems like there should be one, we live in hope hey . That’s put my mind at rest thank you ,

Oscaroo7

There is now a cover available, I got one for mine.

fazua as-5002005301 bottom bracket cover.

I was of the same opinion that it should have one, rang boardman direct and the bike doesnt come with one.
As so many people have asked about it, Fazua have had them made.

I got mine from 'upgrade bikes'.
Came in about 2 days.

Wooly67

I was of the same opinion that it should have one, rang boardman direct and the bike doesnt come with one.

Came in about 2 days.
Yes I got a cover too, fitted it on the bike, did part of a charity ride and next morning my bike was stolen from my shed. Gutted ....😡😡😡... they didn’t get the back wheel, the battery or the key, but it had a battery cover on (£70). And the bottom bracket cover £26, Typical waited ages for it too ha.

Colin_P

Guru
I'm sure these have a Deore rear derailleur. If so these have a clutch mechanism that can be locked out via a lever. Make sure the clutch isn't locked out!

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
My experience with wide range, 11-36 or 11-42, 11spd cassettes is that the up shift to a smaller cog, particularly from the biggest cogs can, where the step is larger and if under load, be a bit clunky. From about the 3rd or 4th cog down to the smallest I hardly notice the change. I really only get it where there is a 3 or 4 or more tooth difference detween cogs. If I jump 2 or 3 it can happen as well, particularly under load.

Last edited:

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw

Came in about 2 days.
It's a cost cutting measure. My 2018 Cube Agree Hybrid has one. Weigh Anchors :cursing:

SamDuncan09

The wires are normal.

Mine had to have a new BB fitted to remove the clunking/clicking noise, its working fine now and am very happy with it but my bike has been back to Halfords 4 times before they finally sorted it.

Keep chasing them to sort it out, its a £2k pedal bike not a £200 one.

I apologise for picking up on something nearly 2 years ago, but I have recently purchased a Boardman 8.9e and my main issue with the bike has been a creaking/straining noise from the BB (typically when putting pressure down on the left pedal) I was told it's a typical issue for the bike and is at worst a "feature" rather than an issue.
They tightened it up and I took it away, but after giving it a bit of a ride today I really cannot stand the noise and definitely don't feel the issue is a "feature" and just feel like they don't want the hassle.

Please could I have a bit more insight into how yours was handled/rectified please? :smile:

The only other issue currently is the battery seems to drain rather quickly (the bike was an ex-display and according to the app it has already been ridden around 400+ miles). Still, I am unsure if this is because of the hills or just my over-expectations of the bike. I will also note that I am a novice cyclist and this is my first e-bike.

Possibly irrelevant - but my Raleigh Motus creaks when I put power through the left pedal

The LBS has looked at it several times and not fixed it

I did read somewhere that it could be due to a torque sensor and is not a problem - mine has been doing it for several years and it doesn;t seem to be a big problem
so far

gzoom

Über Member
I apologise for picking up on something nearly 2 years ago, but I have recently purchased a Boardman 8.9e and my main issue with the bike has been a creaking/straining noise from the BB (typically when putting pressure down on the left pedal) I was told it's a typical issue for the bike and is at worst a "feature" rather than an issue.

Its not normal, probably to do with poor frame tolerances on the Boardman frames. They 'thread locked' the BB to my bike and its been fine now for 18 months+.

gzoom

Über Member
The only other issue currently is the battery seems to drain rather quickly (the bike was an ex-display and according to the app it has already been ridden around 400+ miles). Still, I am unsure if this is because of the hills or just my over-expectations of the bike. I will also note that I am a novice cyclist and this is my first e-bike.

The bike has a small batter versus some eMtbs, in full assist mode I can drain the battery in 10 miles, but used in combination with my legs I can make the battery last 60-70 miles and still give decent assistance on hills. Try only using the max power (red/rocket mode) up hills, and green/mim assistance on flats.

richtea

... I have recently purchased a Boardman 8.9e and my main issue with the bike has been a creaking/straining noise from the BB (typically when putting pressure down on the left pedal) I was told it's a typical issue for the bike and is at worst a "feature" rather than an issue.
Pedal / crank creaking is very likely to be from the bolts that attach the bottom bracket to the frame not being tight enough. We had the same problem - as have a few other owners. It seems relatively common for the creaking to start on a brand new bike after a few rides because those bolts came under-torqued from the factory, so the whole of the bottom bracket moves very slightly under pressure. It's not something you can see/do with hands but a hefty push will make it creak every time. Soft pedal pushing probably won't.

You can tighten them yourself using a Torx key - like an allen key but a star shape. I can't remember if the torque is defined in the user manual.
Also consider putting a little Loctite thread-locking liquid on them to stop them loosening again.

If tightening doesn't solve the problem maybe some damage has been done in the previous 400 miles of use by not rectifying it immediately.

In summary, it's not 'normal', so don't accept that rubbish excuse. If they can't fix it, it's warranty / exchange time!

Original image courtesy of eBikeTips:
bb.jpg

Last edited:

SamDuncan09

@richtea @gzoom

Thank you both for those replies, I gave it a go and tightened myself and was pleasantly pleased to not hear a peep. The bike went back in for a repair to the locking mechanism for the battery, they have done the 6-week service and thread locked the bolts and all appears to be well.
As for the battery, I tend to do as you suggested anyway as I only want real assistance for the hills. Typically, the battery will last 3 days, but I haven't measured the miles I am doing, so I will do that later.

Thanks again both of you. :smile:

Top Bottom