Boardman Hybrid Bike Pro?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User33236

As I am in the process of recovering from a wrist fracture and currently have virtually nothing in the way of
Ulnar Deviation and Radial Deviation nor Supination and Pronation movement I have decided it has ruled me out of riding my drop bar bikes for a while as I, from previous experience, find these movements hardest to regain.

I got looking at flat bar bikes, especially the Boardman Hybrid Bike Pro, which will come in at £900 with BC discount at Halfords.

Any thought on this bike or suggestions for others bearing in mind the following requirements / desire?

• Hydraulic disc brakes
  • Do not what a triple ring bike
  • Desire similar gear range to the 50/34 & 11-28 I have on all my other bikes.

sykes179

Have you considered getting flat bars fitted to your road bike?

OP
OP
U

User33236

Have you considered getting flat bars fitted to your road bike?

Unfortunately the geometry wouldn't be right on either and would put a fair bit of weight on my arms and damaged wrist. I sat on the Boardman yesterday in the shop and prefered the more upright riding position it would give me.

Plus any excuse for N+1 :laugh:

park1

I'm looking at the Boardman team CX which is a very similar spec but with drops. Sizing seems a bit off on the online guide. I normally ride a 56 or 57cm road bike, but the medium was good for me.
Another alternative is the giant fast road comax, which is £950 online. Bit odd looking but light weight.

OP
OP
U

User33236

I would agree with you on the sizing of the Boardman. My road bikes are all 56 but the medium felt a much better fit.

The Giant in indeed a bit odd looking. Can't find a weight on it to compare. The Boardman Hybrid weight quoted by Halfords was pretty accurate.

park1

Weight wise I have no exact numbers, but did pick up a friend's at work and it felt much closer to a road bike rather than hybrid weight, so closer to 9kg rather than 10 plus. That was the slr version which is aluminum. The comax should be a bit lighter again.
There is a lot of seatpost so should be comfortable.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Going to be a few weeks till I can actually get on a bike, well outdoors at least, so might see if I can have a look at the Giant in the flesh as a comparison to the Boardman I have already seen.

CaadX

My wife started road riding on the Hybrid Pro the year before last, excellent buy. Lot of bike for the money. I got Halfords down to £730 in the end after haggling, and you can haggle with them on Boardmans. The spec. on the one you linked is different, hers had an fsa compact double (10 speed) double tap shifters and avid brakes all good, the ritchey wheels weren't great to be honest bit rough on the hub flange resulting on a few broken spokes. Yours has Mavic which are usually pretty good on the disc versions although they are saying Mavic rims. The Boardman saddle was rubbish and ditched. The crowning Glory tho was the frame (as we are the same size ) Ive ridden it loads and IMO its up there with the best alli frames. Been converted to drops now and used as her winter Bike, Most of her QOMs on strava are on it and the summer bike is a Caad 10 the Boardman still has the Zaffiro 32 s on it as well. I think the only thing that would put me off is the single chainring 11 speed.

If you search around their stores they may have some older models that you maybe able to get a deal on a give you a bit more choice on the bolt ons.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Must admit I initially ruled it out due to the 1x11 and the steps between gears.

Having had a bit of time on my hands, and desperate to avoid daytime TV, I did a table of gear inches and compared that with data from a few rides that I got off my d-fly. The comparison showed the gears I favoured to be a close enough match to make it viable.

Weight wise I have no exact numbers, but did pick up a friend's at work and it felt much closer to a road bike rather than hybrid weight, so closer to 9kg rather than 10 plus. That was the slr version which is aluminum. The comax should be a bit lighter again.
There is a lot of seatpost so should be comfortable.

That is no real indicative weight technique as weight distribution, unconscious bias, distractions etc can easily skew such an estimate. Also if you're strong enough to lift 10kg then lifting 9kg won't feel much different.

These are some of the reasons why scales exist. Bb

CaadX

I'm not a great fan of 11 speed to be honest, this seem's a bit of a ruse to keep the cost down to me and maybe the weight but that maybe just coincidental.

OP
OP
U

User33236

I'm not a great fan of 11 speed to be honest, this seem's a bit of a ruse to keep the cost down to me and maybe the weight but that maybe just coincidental.
I looked at the cost of replacement parts for the 1x11 system and found that they carry a price premium, especially on the cassettes so I would say that cost savings in not the primary driver.

CaadX

I looked at the cost of replacement parts for the 1x11 system and found that they carry a price premium, especially on the cassettes so I would say that cost savings in not the primary driver.
Sorry I did not make myself clear, one less shifter mech chainring etc I meant which would keep the RRP down.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Sorry I did not make myself clear, one less shifter mech chainring etc I meant which would keep the RRP down.
Possibly but from the basic information that the spec gives on the chainset the 1x11 vs 2x11 costs seem to make little overall difference to cost on a total build.

For example at this time Wiggle have the SRAM Rival x1 crankset at £106.84 and the x2 at £91.49. SRAM XG1150 (10-42) cassette is £88.66 as opposed to an equivalent 11-28, for example, at £33.99. This leaves cash left over for a left shifter and front derailleur.

CaadX

That is a big difference on the cassette, I wonder what Boardman buy them at. Strange pricing on the chainsets too. Looking around Shimano 11 speed is cheaper than 10 speed equivalents.

Top Bottom