Boardman........ Love or hate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AyJay

AyJay

Über Member
Once you can get over the connection with Halfords all is good. A great deal on a new old stock bike. Only a few of them left now.

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't like the creaky PF bottom bracket and hated the Avid BB5 brakes which I changed, it's ok as a workhorse otherwise

Came from cycle republic so the build was fine

Carbon roadbikes aren't my thing regardless of the make. At least that one isn't black and it has sram which is a big plus, albeit the wrong gearing

Last edited:
OP
OP
AyJay

AyJay

Über Member
Carbon roadbikes aren't my thing regardless of the make. At least that one isn't black and it has sram which is a big plus, albeit the wrong gearing

Have been out today for the first time. Very pleased. Gearing works for me. (We have no hills, only slopes in Suffolk)

Venod

Eh up
I don't think the Halfords connection has done them any favours, but they seem good value to me, I was after one of the shiny CX ones, there was a lot of second hand bargains about at one time, I ended up with a Cannondale CX, long gone after a crash, but would have been happy with the Boardman.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't think the Halfords connection has done them any favours, but they seem good value to me, I was after one of the shiny CX ones, there was a lot of second hand bargains about at one time, I ended up with a Cannondale CX, long gone after a crash, but would have been happy with the Boardman.
My new Team CX 2014 was about £425 or something as I got £100 of accessories with it, they sell second hand for about that I think

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I don't know what Chris Boardman has to do with them now but he sold out to Halfords last year. Still look like good value though.
Always loved the smoothed frame welds which a number of competitors are just getting around to doing .

Last edited:

Thomson

I emailed cycle republic a nice email asking if they had a 2019 boardman asr 8.8 bike in a large frame. As I went into a Halfords shop but would have to get one ordered in. I got a very short email back. With no hint of trying to help what I have asked for.

Going to get a cannondale instead.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don't know what Chris Boardman has to do with them now but he sold out to Halfords last year. Still look like good value though.
Always loved the smoothed frame welds which a number of competitors are just getting around to doing .

Psst, it's filler !! Still looks nice.

vickster

Legendary Member
I emailed cycle republic a nice email asking if they had a 2019 boardman asr 8.8 bike in a large frame. As I went into a Halfords shop but would have to get one ordered in. I got a very short email back. With no hint of trying to help what I have asked for.

Going to get a cannondale instead.
Pick up the phone and talk to them. You may need to try multiple branches as it's out of stock online

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Not much wrong with them. Some of the finishing kit is meh. My Team Carbon is as light as some £5000 bikes. I find the ride rather dead compared to a steel bike and I had to change the horrible compact chainset for a 53/39 (the gear I wanted was always in between the 50 and 34!) but it's very good for the money. In the end, the biggest issue with them is the decals. It's like driving a Vauxhall VX220 or something. It may be an equally good car but hardly anyone will choose a VX220 over a Lotus Elise, because it has the wrong badges.

Top Bottom