Boardman........ Love or hate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Ah yes badge snobbery, plus everyone knows you bought it at Halfords.

OP
OP
AyJay

AyJay

Über Member
I emailed cycle republic a nice email asking if they had a 2019 boardman asr 8.8 bike in a large frame. As I went into a Halfords shop but would have to get one ordered in. I got a very short email back. With no hint of trying to help what I have asked for.

Going to get a cannondale instead.

First saw this bike in Cycle Republic but was the wrong size. They got on their internal web site and found a small number in my size in other parts of the Country. They then informed me that they could not get them delivered from other Cycle Republic stores but Halfords could. Went into Halfords and they ordered it to be delivered. It took 48 hrs and all was well. The staff were very helpful. Very happy that I persevered with tracking one down in my size.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Generally a fan. I've got two and did have a third.

My Pro Carbon is a great bike to ride and is a relatively rare silver one with green decals which I think looks great - I've told this tale before but when I was wheeling it out of Halfords I was stopped and asked where I'd bought it. The person asking refused to believe that Halfords could sell such a bike! :laugh:

IMG_20160903_091856590_HDRx.jpg

But - when I was looking to replace the Road Comp, with it's fantastic mercury silver / grey paint finish, the equivalent model was in metallic red.
As a colour it looked far better in the flesh than on the website but the paint finish wasn't great on the one in the shop. In fact it was distinctly "orange peely" in places. And the fork was a noticeably different shade to the frame - I suspect they'd been painted at different times, possibly in different places, and certainly with different batches of paint.
Regardless, it put me right off and that's when I bought the Giant.

I've got to say that I don't find many of the current range particularly inspiring. Not a fan of the current colour schemes / decals either and while they're still competitively priced I don't think that they're the bargains they once were. Sorry.

lane

Veteran
My daughter and wife both have the women's hybrid. About £400 and absolutely fine for the cycling they do.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's a bike, there is massive brand snobbery in MTB/Road, but the bikes are fabulous value, just like Canyon.

My FS Pro is better than I can chuck the thing down hill, but it actually climbs as fast as my old rigid MTB - same engine - it really shouldn't be as fast on a smooth climb, but it is....

I passed loads of fancy bikes riding up the 3 mile climb at Llandegla when I was on my own in December, the only bikes that caught me were electric.. and I'm not fit.

Good value, reasonable spec bikes...

Drago

Legendary Member
I cant say I'm particularly a fan. I certainly don't hate them, but there have been a couple of models in particularly that were lacking, most notably some 29ers where the frame was so flexi the rear wheel would touch the stays when under power.

The game has moved on and they now occupy a part of the market that was thriving 15 years ago, but which has diverged and moved on since.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've had one of the first model Hybrid Pros which was a bargain in a year end sale considering the spec. I've also had the original Team Carbon - a full carbon frame bike with SRAM Rival for under a grand was unheard of at the time. Just a pity about the reputation of Halfords lowering the perceived status of the Boardman brand.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I cant say I'm particularly a fan. I certainly don't hate them, but there have been a couple of models in particularly that were lacking, most notably some 29ers where the frame was so flexi the rear wheel would touch the stays when under power.

The game has moved on and they now occupy a part of the market that was thriving 15 years ago, but which has diverged and moved on since.

Really ? Ballcocks. It's a bike. The FS Pro isn't flexy, so why would the 29" ers be.

Top Bottom