Boardman on BBC Breakfast...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
His twitter post has tonnes of anti cycling posters too

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
[QUOTE 3360545, member: 45"]..which as a headline suggests that he's doing that because of the risk. When he's not.[/QUOTE]

This link tries even harder to connect the two: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29853789

Olympic medallist Chris Boardman has told the BBC that he would not feel safe letting his children cycle in a city.
This comes as figures from the Department of Transport show that for every hour cycled in England you are 16 times more likely to be killed or seriously injured on a bike than driving a car.

In fact I'd say the BBC is deliberately misleading readers with that.

GC

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
As to 8-year-olds...

I won't let my 28* year old daughter ride alone on the roads locally and I won't pretend I didn't worry when #1 son used to do it in London.

*actually she's 24

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They say they are spending ££££££££'s in relation to cycling but NEVER say exactly on what?:rolleyes:
Never mind the quality, feel the wad! We need to get interviewers asking your question, @mick1836.

So many of those "cycling" pounds have actually been spent on things that benefit motorists more than cyclists and I'm not even talking about things that are controversial on this site (protected cycle lanes and off-road routes) but basic stuff like rebuilding junctions, where the safest-for-cycling options are rejected in favour of increased motor vehicle capacity.

The most notorious ones so far have probably been the Bedford Turbogate and Cambridge Perne Road "If this is Dutch then I'm a Dutchman" roundabouts, but I read on Twitter today that there may be another scandal brewing in cycling city Bristol with £400k of "cycling" money being used to fill a shortfall in the Metro Bus project budget.

Can't see interview on Iplayer, apparently not available because of 'rights issues'. Saw his general comments, anyone know how/where I can see studio footage? Amazed at the amount of abuse he has received on Facebook, for talking complete sense, bit of a hero of mine, doesn't deserve this

Drago

Legendary Member
Later this PM when BBC News 're ran the piece it panned back to the presenters. The male presenter nodded sagely and mentioned Mr Boardmans decision not to wear a helmet, to which the female presenter responded "not advisable."

Words fail me.

BigAl68

Über Member
This is based on my experiences this early evening on high viz and helmets.

The majority were riding poorly or just plain stupidly, this was coupled with the fact the majority had such poor lights they are an accident waiting to happen. I have also just noticed CB has issued a statement on choice. Good to hear this over the madness that seems to have filled the internet and twitter all day.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
As to 8-year-olds...

I won't let my 28* year old daughter ride alone on the roads locally and I won't pretend I didn't worry when #1 son used to do it in London.

*actually she's 24
If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem...

And yes, I know I'm pontificating from a position of ignorance. Would be better if Boardman practised what he preaches.

Top Bottom