Boardman on BBC Breakfast...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The majority were riding poorly or just plain stupidly, this was coupled with the fact the majority had such poor lights they are an accident waiting to happen.
Common sense misleads again: unlit riders are accidents waiting to happen, yet poor/no lights was a factor in just 2% of cyclist collisions when it was checked a few years ago: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/dec/15/cycling-bike-accidents-study

Riding poorly/stupidly accounts for more (how much depends on how you define poor/stupid), but it's still dwarfed by the majority of collisions being the fault of motorists. http://www.ctc.org.uk/blog/chris-peck/whos-to-blame-in-crashes-between-cyclists-and-motorists

But hey, it's much easier to blame the dead riders because they don't answer back, unlike all those who see driving as some sort of right and refuse to acknowledge they're not perfect at it.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Common sense misleads again: unlit riders are accidents waiting to happen, yet poor/no lights was a factor in just 2% of cyclist collisions when it was checked a few years ago: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/dec/15/cycling-bike-accidents-study

Riding poorly/stupidly accounts for more (how much depends on how you define poor/stupid), but it's still dwarfed by the majority of collisions being the fault of motorists. http://www.ctc.org.uk/blog/chris-peck/whos-to-blame-in-crashes-between-cyclists-and-motorists

But hey, it's much easier to blame the dead riders because they don't answer back, unlike all those who see driving as some sort of right and refuse to acknowledge they're not perfect at it.

I think his point was that the ones he saw were using hi-vis and helmets as a substitute for better cycling, and they should rethink their priorities.

fatboy123cycling

Until we in this country copy Holland with its attitude to cycling we will always be arguing between ourselves. In Holland if a motorist is involved in an accident with a child up to about 16 - they are to blame whoever is at fault. With adults the driver has to prove they are innocent. We need to all campaign together not argue between ourselves.

Drago

Legendary Member
Presumption of guilt is against European law. Our Drunk in Charge laws had to change about 10 years ago to accommodate that, so that's either mis reported or the crazy Dutch are defying Europe in a way our Government has yet to do.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Later this PM when BBC News 're ran the piece it panned back to the presenters. The male presenter nodded sagely and mentioned Mr Boardmans decision not to wear a helmet, to which the female presenter responded "not advisable."

Words fail me.
... unbelievable ....

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Presumption of guilt is against European law. Our Drunk in Charge laws had to change about 10 years ago to accommodate that, so that's either mis reported or the crazy Dutch are defying Europe in a way our Government has yet to do.

There's a big big difference between "presumption of guilt" and "strict liability / presumption of liability".

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
Did anyone else the piece on tv this morning, which turned out to be a bit controversial and the main point of the piece got lost because of it. Chris and Louise Minchin recorded a bike ride through Manchester using bike lanes etc. The short version showed them almost getting hit by cars, almost crashing into obstacles in the bike lanes and cycle paths. Trying to enter roundabouts and maneuvering through traffic lights. There was also an interview with the minister responsible for cycling and he admitted things were bad ......... Glad it wasn't just me who's scared of doing city cycling especially when we are 12 times more likely to die than car passengers around town.

Chris wasn't wearing a helmet and the phones were ringing off the hook, so the main reason for the piece was lost in the furor.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem...

And yes, I know I'm pontificating from a position of ignorance. Would be better if Boardman practised what he preaches.
I choose to be part of the solution by not owning a car and I don't preach that inexperienced untrained cyclists should ride on the roads hereabouts.

Top Bottom