Boardman road bike comp large

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
jrego

Reckon he won't be far off. Stand by and watch how many people now post to say that they once saw a bike in Halfords with the forks on the wrong way round, or they know someone who rode his home from the shop and first the saddle worked loose, then his leg fell off, and his Aunt once went in for an inner tube and they sold her a picnic blanket

Get the bike, get it checked by an expert for a few quid, and enjoy one of the lightest, best specc'd bikes you will find for the money.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Very good value bikes the boardmans. Worth looking at Felts, Cubes and focus brands at that price point as well. Then have a look at Specialized, Giant et al.

Too many bikes to give you an answer really..

Beaker39

From personal experience I have had this same bike now for about 4 weeks and it has been superb. Very light, very smooth and very quick (for me anyhow!!)

OP
OP
J

jrego

OK thanks. I'm just trying to get the best for my money as I made a bit a mistake on my first bike purchase. Determined not to do it again as this one will cost me more money.

I don't know how they get away by describing the bike as having a Shim 105 groupset just by the inclusion of a 105 rear mech but the bike should be equal to if not better than the others at the same price. For a sub-20lb bike £650 is pretty good value but make sure you get a ride on one before buying inorder to get a size suitable to yourself.

adscrim

Veteran
It's an excellent bike fro the money. I've had one for 18 months now and have yet to find anything I don't like about it. I've put new wheels on - not because I didn't like the old ones, I just liked the new ones more.

It's light enough and very responsive, doesn't feel lardy at all, and the mish-mash of parts works well together.

I am very pleased with mine an readily reccommend it to anyone prepared to listen.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Cubist said:
jrego

Reckon he won't be far off. Stand by and watch how many people now post to say that they once saw a bike in Halfords with the forks on the wrong way round, or they know someone who rode his home from the shop and first the saddle worked loose, then his leg fell off, and his Aunt once went in for an inner tube and they sold her a picnic blanket

Get the bike, get it checked by an expert for a few quid, and enjoy one of the lightest, best specc'd bikes you will find for the money.

Cubist you are confusing the quality of Halfrauds "service" and Boardman Bikes, the two are not the same thing. Boardman Bikes offer good quality, competitively priced bike, they are not Halfrauds own brand, it is just that (for reasons best known to Chris Boardman) they are sold exclusively through Halfrauds. Unfortunately there is a lot of evidence that Halfrauds staff are not able to safely assemble a bicycle and it is for this reason that the advice is given that if you buy one, find someone competent to check it over before riding it... :becool:

Garz

Squat Member
amnesia said:
Excellent choice, but ditch the pedals ASAP for something decent :laugh:

I got Shimano SPD M520s for £18 on ebay and haven't looked back since.

Cracking bike though !

Agree. I got look keo classics, and changed the bar tape and enjoy the ride of this machine. Some say its hard to get hold of them due to supply/demand, if this is the case contact boardman directly and try arrange them to ship it to you, then get the lbs to build.

Dilbert

I just got a Road Team in a box as there was a week delay for Halfords to build it. All I had to do was fit the bars and the front wheel and fit and terminate the brake cables and top up the tyres. Took me about 90 mins, three allen keys, a phillips screwdriver and a pair of pliers. Would have been easier / quicker with a bike stand and without a 5 year old assistant.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Dilbert said:
I just got a Road Team in a box as there was a week delay for Halfords to build it. All I had to do was fit the bars and the front wheel and fit and terminate the brake cables and top up the tyres. Took me about 90 mins, three allen keys, a phillips screwdriver and a pair of pliers. Would have been easier / quicker with a bike stand and without a 5 year old assistant.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Cubist

Still wavin'
HJ said:
Cubist you are confusing the quality of Halfrauds "service" and Boardman Bikes, the two are not the same thing. Boardman Bikes offer good quality, competitively priced bike, they are not Halfrauds own brand, it is just that (for reasons best known to Chris Boardman) they are sold exclusively through Halfrauds. Unfortunately there is a lot of evidence that Halfrauds staff are not able to safely assemble a bicycle and it is for this reason that the advice is given that if you buy one, find someone competent to check it over before riding it... :biggrin:

HJ, you have misread or misinterpreted my post. My advice is to get the bike and have it checked. I heartily recomend Boardman bikes. I have one, it's 'kin awesome.

What I also said was watch and see how many people now jump onto the thread and berate Halfords for being crap. I personally find this tedious, as I feel that not all Halfords deserve the reputation. It also clouds people's judgement about the quality of the bikes they sell.

postman

Legendary Member
My good mate has got a Boardman,It's a brill bike.But he did take it to his lbs and had it checked over for a few more quid.Really nice bike.
Don't do a size for me.

Top Bottom