Boardman Team Full Suspension MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GilesM

Legendary Member
GregCollins said:
ime = in my experience

ymmv = your mileage may vary (i.e your experience may be different)

Thanks, that's two useful things I have learned today.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Harrier said:
Thanks again everyone for your comments. Nothing to do with fashion but I have gone for the Orange Crush S.

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/2010/crush/

For the extra £99 I will have the original spec.

Should look good on top of the car though!

Great choice Harrier, it'll look cool on top of the car, but more importantly it'll put a huge smile on your face when you get out on the trails. Have fun.

GilesM

Legendary Member
lukesdad said:
Ah ! GilesM youve just gone downhill in the cred stakes.;)

Don't worry, in reality I'm too old to worry about fashion and looking cool, I just ride an Orange Five as it helps to hide my lack of ability:laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Been reading this thread.

My cyclescheme is up in April...... and N+1 is itching again.....

TOP of list Bang for Buck........Boardman HT Pro..... Rockshock Reba's and X0 rear mech, and X9 other kit.....

I'm unlikely to ride trails - we've got lots of the Peak district to explore near me... like the look of the bike, reviews seem good, the kit is outstanding.

I'm unlikely to tear down off road downhills near me (don't fancy smashing myself up and cycling is my main transport/weekend fun), this is more XC and climbing, so hardtail suits my road background.

Anyone know if Halfords accept CycleScheme (not their CTW) ? and can I take the thing in the box.....rather than built.

Any other close contenders..... no stupid colour schemes....?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
fossyant you already know there is little genuine close competition to a Boardman HT Pro in the bang per buck stakes but some prefer form over function, or worry about the brand logo not working properly during that crucial roof rack unload section at the trail centre....

ime Halfords don't accept anything but their own vouchers but your HR department will need a mere 10mins to sign up to the Halfords scheme and any enlightened HR team will sign up to more than one supplier. My own HR dept became enlightened when one of them wanted a bike not available from the incumbent supplier(s)

Yes Halfords will supply you with it in a box, however if you have a decent BikeHut to hand and go talk to them in advance you may find, as I did, someone working there who is every bit as much a cycle enthusiast as yourself, has tidy wrenching skills, and who will relish building your bike for you and will do the job every bit as well as any lbs mechanic. It isn't everyday a Pro goes out the door.

Tis a grand bike alright. If you're big and need an L like me I'd suggest putting some dosh by for a larger front rotor upgrade, just in case you end up in freefall one day, and budget to replace the tyres sooner rather than later. (My local flints ripped the widely spaced blocked treads to shreads in less than 500km.) and a new saddle as the oem isn't the most comfortable perch. An airfork pump (I got a topeak) will be needed to tune the fork to suit your build and riding style. and mine grew bar ends. A front crud will foul the cables on the downtube and mess with your shifting. A CycraGuard front guard gives the necessary clearance.

Next on the list is to swap the trigger shifters with rotary ones cos my poor old hands struggle with the throw of the triggers.

EDIT: and pedals, it will need need new pedals to do it justice; M647's on mine, look great work even better.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Our HR were going Halfords until everyone complained, so very little chance.

Hmmm, my friendly LBS is just down the road from Halfords...might have to see if he can sort something with them or it's a Spesh Rockhopper or a Cube....

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
fossyant said:
Our HR were going Halfords until everyone complained, so very little chance.

Hmmm, my friendly LBS is just down the road from Halfords...might have to see if he can sort something with them or it's a Spesh Rockhopper or a Cube....

I like your style.

As for HR just tell them more than one supplier is no more work than just one and you've set your heart etc., and pretty please....

OP
OP
Harrier

Harrier

Should pick up the Crush on Saturday. Sneeked in an upgrade to Hope Pro2 Hubs and Wheelset. Not sure what mudguards to put on it yet, seems a shame to spoil the look although being covered from head to foot in mud is not a good look either! Would normally go for crudcatcher and raceguard. What do people recommend?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
fossyant said:
Well, don't buy a mountain bike....sheesh :biggrin:

looking good is clearly important to our dear Harrier.:biggrin:

I prefer to go past people so fast they can't tell whether I look good or not! (I don't, obviously!) :smile:

Top Bottom