Body mass index (calculator)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You are overweight for your height:smile:
Your BMI is 28.5

If your BMI is between 25 and 29.9 you're over the ideal weight for your height. Make sure you eat a healthy, well-balanced diet and don't eat more calories than you need to.

If you're trying to lose weight, get more exercise and avoid snacking and 'crash' diets. If you carry your weight around your stomach, you're 'apple-shaped', rather than 'pear-shaped'. This means you're at more risk of health problems, so you really need to get your weight down.
Top tip:

There are many benefits to losing weight. Start by reducing your calories by about 500 a day, and try to lose 5-10kg (11-22lbs) in about six months.

I don't feel too fat - honestly guv! :rolleyes:

Jaded

Your BMI is 23.5

However I think I am at least 1/2 stone overweight.

My BMI is still over 40..... :angry:

Since I started back on my bike last Easter I've lost in the region of 35 lbs and 3% of my fat index according to the scales in Tesco, but things have flattened out a bit since Christmas.

What was also interesting was that over that time my (home measured) BP has gone from 150/75 to 115/60 and my resting HR from 70 to 50. I still can't get my max HR much above 90 tho'.

I average about 40 miles a week on the bike, and generally eat healthy, but overdo the portion control at times.

Dayvo - I'm not being cheeky but do you measure your waist? Or do you fit into 34" waist trousers? I always bought 34" and then went to a tailor who measured me and politely told me I'd be more comfortable in 36" trousers.

It turns out ladies' clothes aren't the only ones subject to vanity sizing (new size 10 is old size 12 etc) but that most gents' trousers are now incorrectly sized so that a more generously proportioned chap thinks he has the same waist band as when he left school.

That kicked me into losing a bit and now I'm a measured 33" (and smug).

Stig-OT-Dump said:
Dayvo - I'm not being cheeky but do you measure your waist? Or do you fit into 34" waist trousers? I always bought 34" and then went to a tailor who measured me and politely told me I'd be more comfortable in 36" trousers.

Good point! Last year I wriggled into a pair of 32" '501s", but as regard to my 'actual' size I don't (want to) know! :tongue:
When i was playing rugby I had a apir of 38" but that was (mainly due to having larger thighs. Now I'm, er, leaner! :blush:;)

Top Bottom