Bonded Frame Respray

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Uphill Phil

I have a 1985 Raleigh Dyna-Tech 700Ti bonded road frame that I want to get resprayed to a good, professional standard, and I have spoken to Mercian Cycles about the project. Their suggestion is that the frame should be cold-sprayed to avoid the risk of ending up with a heap of lugs and tubes due to the bonding adhesive melting out when it goes in the oven for curing.

Does anybody out there have any idea where I might be able to find someone to undertake commercial cold-spraying to a good standard in a two-colour enamel finish?

Does anyone have any experience of having a bonded frame professionally resprayed that they could pass on?

Does anyone have any idea about the temperature the bonded areas might withstand before breaking down?

Any help, guidance, advice or informed comment would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I was told pretty much the same when I had a dynatech, any form of heat is to be avoided.

BTW, aren't you ten years out with your date? I don't thing Dynatechs were round in '85, particularly with Ti tubes. In any case I am not sure I would trust a bonded frame after that length of time, Raleigh dropped them in a hurry amid rumours of failures.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Why not go for a brushed titanium look - and save the weight of all that paint? :eek:

PM me if you get any failed bonds...I might be able to point you in direction of some suitable aerospace quality adhesive that is good on Ti

Top Bottom