1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bonj, what the hell..

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by yenrod, 10 Feb 2008.

1. yenrod

yenrod Guest

..is that avatar of a pic. you've got ;)

Or is it you, really...

2. cannondale boy

cannondale boy Über Member

Maybe his past life was an interesting one.

3. Melvil

Melvil Standard nerd

Looks a bit, well, fishy

4. Panter

Panter Just call me Chris...

<steps up as resident fish geek> :biggrin:

Its a Yellow boxfish, Ostracion cubicus.

ko_haa_yellow_boxfish.gif

5. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

it's proof that new species are evolving all the time, being as it is a newly evolved fish that didn't exist prior to it being discovered, otherwise it would have been discovered earlier. it's also clearly a very intelligent, discerning fish, and an interesting shape.

6. Err ... I assume you had your tongue firmly lodged in your cheek while typing that, cos it's a Grand Canyon - scale leap of logic.

7. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I wasn't aware of you until you popped up on C+ a couple of years ago.

Did you exist before then?

8. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

Just 'cos YOU didn't know about me doesn't mean i hadn't been discovered.
    At least SOME people knew about me. NO-ONE knew about that fish, despite the oceans being continually explored and researched.

9. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Somebody may have known about it and kept it to themselves. The other fish would have known as well.

10. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

Your granny knew.

11. Noodley

Noodley Guest

But she'd have kept it to herself, in her handbag most likely.

12. As Bill Bryson put it in "A Short History of Nearly Everything" ... [paraphrase] our current knowledge of the deep oceans is much the same as our knowledge of the land would be if our research was based on five people driving around at night on ride on lawnmowers.[/paraphrase] We don't know anywhere near as much about the oceans as you (and many other people, to be fair) seem to think.

13. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Really?

what about the eskimo who fell through the ice and saw the creatures that you were banging on about, and then died from hypothermia before he could tell anyone?

14. longers

longers Veteran

Good book that. I could read it every year for the rest of my life and learn something new each time. I blame my poor memory.

15. I've read it maybe three times now, and as you say, I find something else new in it each time. Great book, and well worth reading (Bonj).:biggrin: