bonj, what the hell..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Abitrary said:
And what is this book? It sounds interesting and I might buy it.

Please tell me it's easier than A Brief History of Time.

If you send it back, I'll lend it you when I find it.

Bill Bryson "A short history of nearly everything".

snorri

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
We don't know anywhere near as much about the oceans as you (and many other people, to be fair) seem to think.
But we know about the things we don't know about, its the people that don't know about the things they dont know about, like bonj, they are the ones you don't want to know about.:biggrin:

bonj2

Really?

what about the eskimo who fell through the ice and saw the creatures that you were banging on about, and then died from hypothermia before he could tell anyone?

Noodley said:
Somebody may have known about it and kept it to themselves. The other fish would have known as well.

there's no proof there ever was any such eskimo or person or fish who 'kept it to themselves'.
They wouldn't do that, as they'd get money for having made the discovery.

Abitrary

bonj said:
there's no proof there ever was any such eskimo or person or fish who 'kept it to themselves'.
They wouldn't do that, as they'd get money for having made the discovery.

The frightening truth about all this, is that the people who see the weirdest stuff don't bother telling others, because they know they wouldn't be believed.

I'd say this goes for about 80% of interesting stuff out there.

bonj2

largely yes, as in stuff like 'the earth is round' type madcap theories, but there's quite a bit of brass in discovering a new species, so it's in their interest to get it out in the scientific press asap under their own name.

bonj2

Dave5N said:
How?

I discover a species. Well done me.

WHo pays me my big bags of gold?

science magazines, generally - e.g. new scientist, national geographic

Dave5N

Über Member
Ha hahhahahahahahahahahahahahah!

How much djoo reckon??

Think you get more for finding, say, a mammal than a fish?

What's the going rate for a new bacterium?

Do you get paid less if you evolve yer own?

Have you ever, EVER, read a Science journal?

Abitrary

bonj said:
largely yes, as in stuff like 'the earth is round' type madcap theories, but there's quite a bit of brass in discovering a new species, so it's in their interest to get it out in the scientific press asap under their own name.

I'm not sure... if you ask anyone who has seen a UFO, and I have, they will tell you it is the biggest let down. Any rational person will tell you that in the nanosecond of reconciling what they have seen, they will try to rationalise it, and then imagine trying to convey what they have seen to others.

You honestly just shrug and sigh to yourself "noone is going to believe this", and then just try and get on with your life albeit feeling a bit more cynical, not about what you have seen, but about other people.

bonj2

Dave5N said:
Ha hahhahahahahahahahahahahahah!

How much djoo reckon??

Think you get more for finding, say, a mammal than a fish?

What's the going rate for a new bacterium?

Do you get paid less if you evolve yer own?

Have you ever, EVER, read a Science journal?

not much at all for a bacteria, (unless it's useful, say, in killing off a disease, in which case you'll make a mint)

not a great deal for a fish - couple of hundred to a grand maybe - possibly a couple o' three grand if you're lucky and it's a whole series of really interesting fish, like the one in my avatar and the other ones in the same set, that were on the msn page where it was reported.

mammal? anything from less than a grand to upwards of ten grand, maybe - depending on how different it is from other existing mammals (the more different the better).

Top Bottom