bonj, what the hell..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jaded

bonj said:
there's no proof there ever was any such eskimo or person or fish who 'kept it to themselves'.
They wouldn't do that, as they'd get money for having made the discovery.

It's an interesting idea, however it falls at the first hurdle (can fish hurdle? :angry:).

The fish in your avatar doesn't have any pockets, so there would be no point in giving it money.

Of course, if it did have pockets and you gave it the money, then it is quite likely that it would use the money to hide itself and all the other Spotted Yellow Bonj fish away, so that an eskimo couldn't find them just before they died of hypothermia.

There must be some kind of IFA (Independent Fish Advisor) system to make sure that newly self-discovered fish don't put their money in to Northern Loch, then lose it all. That would be a real shame. Unless Golden Brown saved Northern Loch and muddied the waters so much in doing so that the Bonj fish could slip away unnoticed.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Abitrary said:
I'm not sure... if you ask anyone who has seen a UFO, and I have, they will tell you it is the biggest let down. Any rational person will tell you that in the nanosecond of reconciling what they have seen, they will try to rationalise it, and then imagine trying to convey what they have seen to others.

You honestly just shrug and sigh to yourself "noone is going to believe this", and then just try and get on with your life albeit feeling a bit more cynical, not about what you have seen, but about other people.

Right, you do realise that you can't leave it like that and in the interests of fair play you now have to tell us all about your UFO sighting.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
How does one know when one has discovered a new species... being as not a single person knows all species of everything in the world?

Presumably said person would have to research quite thoroughly whether the animal they had spotted was already documented... bit tricky I would imagine for afore mentioned Eskimo.

As an aside, it may be an animal they (Eskimos) are used to seeing, in which case they may assume that everyone knows about them...

Nice avatar though, all the same.

Smeggers

I actually saw that fish before it was officially "discovered".

I just couldnt be bothered to tell anyone.

classic33

Leg End Member
Sh4rkyBloke said:
As an aside, it may be an animal they (Eskimos) are used to seeing, in which case they may assume that everyone knows about them...

I agree, what one person may see every day & accept as normal, may be unknown to others. The only thing is that the person seeing it everday may be unaware no-one else knows about it.

Abitrary

Andy in Sig said:
Right, you do realise that you can't leave it like that and in the interests of fair play you now have to tell us all about your UFO sighting.

Like I said, it's a massive letdown, not what you see necessarily, but the immediate realisation that noone is going to believe you. It is probably the same with people who see a *real* ghost. You're just not going to bother telling people.

I wouldn't wish a UFO on anyone, because it just makes you more aware of people's potential cynicism, and the world therefore just a little darker and colder.

bonj2

There's no proof that the fish have recently evolved bonjina.
There is. The proof is that the fish didn't previously exist. They do now. The only possible explanation for that is that they have recently evolved. No other possible explanation could explain it. The old "they might have existed but not been discovered" story is a load of old balloney because humans have explored every corner of the earth.

Sh4rkyBloke said:
How does one know when one has discovered a new species... being as not a single person knows all species of everything in the world?
Not one single person knows, no. That doesn't mean anything - not one single person knows how every single part on a boeing 747 works, they still manage to get built and take off though. If you think you've discovered a new species sharky then go and approach a science magazine, they'll soon tell you whether you're barking up the wrong tree.

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Presumably said person would have to research quite thoroughly whether the animal they had spotted was already documented... bit tricky I would imagine for afore mentioned Eskimo.
You'd have to take claimed retrospective discoveries by eskimos with a pinch of salt at the end of the day, because they're likely to SAY they discovered them ages ago to try and get famous.

Sh4rkyBloke said:
In which case they probably do. You don't really get 'wild' eskimos much nowadays, that don't know any part of the earth other than a snow hut - they're just normal people that live in a certain part of norway and greenland who like the snow and therefore go and live in igloos for certain months of the year - because they like the novelty, the climate, fish, tranquility, snowboarding - whatever.

abchandler said:
Hey Bonj, a new bird has just evolved in Nepal, and others are waiting to evolve according to this report

I'd be surprised if the fish in my avatar was the only newly evolved species of recent times, to be honest..

Top Bottom