"Bonked" for the first time in years!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I blame the Tesco revolution, on-line shopping, and the motor car for the lack of corner shops in rural areas.
Today I set off from Moffat to do a 73 mile loop up to Eskdalemuir, Ettrick, Mountbenger, Talla reservoir, Tweedsmuir, and returning to Moffat on the A701. It involved a lot of climbing (4700 ft) and a brisk headwind in places. About 7 miles from the end I hit the wall, luckily the last 7 miles are all downhill.

Even at that though, I had to stop in a lay-by to scrounge water from 2 obliging car drivers. Sadly they had no chocolate (that they were willing to part with!). The point of this tale is that I will make sure I have some sustenance in my saddle pack when venturing into such rural rides. I had lunch in Eskdalemuir at about 20 miles, and filled my water bottle. That was the last place I was at where it was possible to buy food or drink. All the small rural shops have now gone. First place I went in Moffat was a Spar shop. Never has Ribena and chocolate biscuits tasted so good.

johnnyb47

Guru
Yikes, It's a horrible feeling hitting "the wall" out in the middle of nowhere. Your right about the lack of small corner shops nowadays. I tend to mainly stop off at petrol stations if I need supplies. Not ideal but needs must sometimes.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I tend to mainly stop off at petrol stations
There wasn't even a petrol station, until Moffat. This was a REALLY rural ride!

Screenshot (14).png

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Have you recovered, eat everything in the fridge back home?
Next time don't try to emulate the racing snakes by saving weight, stuff some "just in case food" in your pannier.
You did have a pannier, yes? :tongue:
Looks like a really good ride, do it again with more supplies!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
It's a lovely area to ride. A lot of the audaxes out of Galashiels use those roads, but yes there's just about nothing open outside of the main towns, especially as you missed the cafe on St Mary's Loch (further along the more direct road to Moffat)

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5362028, member: 9609"]we coulda nearly seen each other the day, we shared the same route for a mile, Tushielaw to where you turned left[/QUOTE]
Are you on Strava, and I'll check my "fly-bys"?

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5362033, member: 9609"]
then there was the Gordon Arms, but that keeps catching fire, was it intact today ?[/QUOTE]

It's still there and I didn't see any smoke. At that point in the ride though, I was ok and thought I would be fine until Moffat. Big mistake. I hadn't hit the headwinds or the climbs at Meggetts/Talla. And I had forgotten that the A701 is a gradual climb for miles from Tweedsmuir to the Devil's Beef Tub.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5362028, member: 9609"]we coulda nearly seen each other the day, we shared the same route for a mile, Tushielaw to where you turned left[/QUOTE]
I reckon I was at Tushielaw about 2pm..

Good morning,

Not today, I was on the new fankled carbon thing that doesn't do panniers :laugh:.

I have one of these as well and I haven't yet wanted to weigh it down with a water bottle holder!

So I kept my last

https://groceries.asda.com/product/sports-drinks/asda-sport-orange-flavour-isotonic-drink/986733

bottle, refill it and carry it in my jersey, I keep meaning to remove the label to save a bit more weight.

Having lost nearly 20lbs over the last 2 and a bit months I feel entitled to a little bit of irrational behavior.

Bye

Ian

Top Bottom