"Bonked" for the first time in years!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Good morning,

I have one of these as well and I haven't yet wanted to weigh it down with a water bottle holder!

So I kept my last

https://groceries.asda.com/product/sports-drinks/asda-sport-orange-flavour-isotonic-drink/986733

bottle, refill it and carry it in my jersey, I keep meaning to remove the label to save a bit more weight.

Having lost nearly 20lbs over the last 2 and a bit months I feel entitled to a little bit of irrational behavior.

Bye

Ian
What's the difference between having the bottle on you than on the bike, the combined weight is the same (save a few grams for a bottle cage) and you'll be more uncomfortable and the drink will get warm :wacko: at least you recognise the behaviour is irrational!

Venod

Eh up
Petrol Stations and the bonk seem a feature.
I remember having serious bonk on a club run, we had done 40 mile to Skipton from Pontefract into a block headwind, when we got to the cafe everyone was tired so we had a longer than usual rest, when we came out the wind had changed direction so we had a head wind home ! some bright spark suggested we go via Blubberhouse, well it was carnage the ride was getting slower and slower everybody got the bonk, I got to 5 mile from home and had to stop at a petrol station (no shops open on Sundays in them days) I remember sitting with back against the wall forcing Mars bars (other chocolate confections are available) and pop down just to complete the 5 mile home.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I normally carry 2 or 3 of these, but of course yesterday I was out of stock :sad:. The chocolate and orange one (not in picture) is especially nice....

stoats.jpg

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I'm always bonking on rides.
I worked out (roughly) a while back that 9 jelly babies has 40 carbohydrates which is about the same as a small meal. Chewed slowly, that should be enough to get me home in dire circumstances.
I naturally keep a really big bag of them in the saddlebag but if you're keeping the weight down, 9 jelly babies isn't going to sink the back wheel into the tarmac :smile:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Peak District isn't quite as desolate as the OPs route but it's easy to do 20-30 miles with no shop or garage.
Up to 3 hours I'm fine with no refuel. More than that I need to plan in a stop somewhere, which means making sure I go through some village that deffo has a shop that's open

In this hot summer, water has been more of an issue as I can only carry enough for a couple of hours hard, hot effort. I've taken to asking folk in their front gardens if they don't mind topping up my bottles. Everyone has obliged

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My last bonk was about 5 years ago. Rode out to see a mate in Newport Pagnell, 12 miles each way. On the return journey I was half way home when someone opened my hatch and removed my batteries. Could hardly walk, never mind ride.
thats proper bonk, a lot of people confuse running a bit low on energy and having to dial it back to all out cant move .Not saying this is the case for @Brandane .
Guy in CC goes on about proper fueling etc when TBH they are not going far or fast enough to need a cake stop let alone bonk

Well done on tackling a 70 odd mile ride-I would struggle at that sort of mileage even with plenty of food & drink.

If you took as much water as you could carry then fair enough. But if you only took one bottle for the distance you had planned to cycle then it’s a bit of a no brainer in rural areas. Lesson learned and experience gained I guess.

0F4DD164-BC8D-43C9-9C6A-9C9DEDAF4587.jpeg

These are my current weapon of choice for beating the bonk. Once I got over laughing at the label, it’s actually quite nice. They came in handy yesterday, as I hit a bonk at about 100 miles into my ride yesterday.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
View attachment 426904

These are my current weapon of choice for beating the bonk. Once I got over laughing at the label, it’s actually quite nice. They came in handy yesterday, as I hit a bonk at about 100 miles into my ride yesterday.
I like them too, local mini sainsburys sells them but i have never seen them in the main one down the road.In fact a decent brekkie and one of these an im good for 50 miles.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
thats proper bonk, a lot of people confuse running a bit low on energy and having to dial it back to all out cant move .Not saying this is the case for @Brandane .
Guy in CC goes on about proper fueling etc when TBH they are not going far or fast enough to need a cake stop let alone bonk
I've only ever suffered what I would call "bonk" twice. Complete drain of energy meaning shaking legs, hardly able to speak and just wanting to lie down. First time I did lie down which was fine as it was a pleasantly warm summer day and I lay there for about an hour before I got up and headed off in search of food.

Yesterday I resisted even sitting down in case I didn't get up again! It was getting chilly so I put on my thin rain jacket and stood straddling the crossbar for 10 minutes or so. Then, knowing the rest of the ride was all downhill I set off (slowly!) and let gravity do it's thing. Had the remaining miles involved any uphill sections, I don't know what I would have done. Crawling into a ditch at the roadside and dying would have been a more attractive proposition than trying to climb at that stage.

View attachment 426904

Another vote from me, helped by several freebies from the Boardmasters surf festival.
They also do Clif Bloks, a tube of gooey things as an alternative to gels. In berry and (I kid you not) margarita flavours. Something to do with salt and electrolytes was their excuse...
:biggrin:

Top Bottom