Bonkers old man

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

Joe said:
So I'm waiting in primary in the right hand lane at a roundabout waiting to go straight across (there are 4 roads joining it). As we all know, diving out into a busy roundabout without a decent gap/eye contact on a bike isn't the best of ideas!

I've been there for maybe 20/30 seconds (it's busy) when I feel a nudge from behind. I look behind me to see an old guy in a hatchback with his bumper up against my rear wheel. I gesture to him that he's hit me and he responds by putting the accelator on and slowly driving me forward:ohmy:
Not quite sure what to do (I can't exactly hold my ground against an internal combustion engine!) I turn around, and a gap appears so I take it.Bonkers:eek:

I immediately thought - get off the bike; and remonstrate: but as you seen a gap and went for it - I feel you did the best thing in the long run.

You saved your ass and know ones worth going down for on the road !

Its not just bonkers old men. I was sitting 4th in a queue in a primary position for a few moments and there was a couple of cars stationary behind me also. When suddenly I get what felt like an aggressive shove from behind. I turned round to see the dovy bint behind reaching down into her glove compartment.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
This happened to me a year or so ago in Newcastle - and it was a very young man, who didn't seem to understand that a cyclist can't take quite the same chances with tiny gaps in roundabout traffic as an impatient twat in a overpowered hatchback might want to.

CotterPin

I had something like this happen once when I was sitting in primary position in a traffic queue, though I think the guy just didn't realise I had stopped and bumped me. He managed to damage my rear mudguard.

Like many motorists when they have done something wrong. he had perfected that wonderful 100 yard stare (the same stare you see in pictures of convicted criminals and the like) and totally blanked me out when I tried to talk to him.

J4CKO

I was in my mates car last night going to get him a new bike, an older chap in a Mondeo was causing havoc near where I live, reversing agsinst traffic, turning round in the road, and when he did turn off to go into a house he turned and ended up missing the driveway and was nosed against the wall.

He really shouldnt have been driving.

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
CotterPin said:
Like many motorists when they have done something wrong. he had perfected that wonderful 100 yard stare (the same stare you see in pictures of convicted criminals and the like) and totally blanked me out when I tried to talk to him.
Ah the 100 yard stare. If I don't look at you, you can't see me. Genius!;)
I had a mild version of it today.
Going around an empty roundabout (not having a good week with roundabouts!) when a car comes on from my left and starts frantically beeping at me, before wizzing around on my inside as I'm exiting and out the same exit as me.
They slow to turn right a little further down the road. As I come along side them I slow down and use the art of mime to ask what their problem is. Not even acknowledged!

leoc

316t.jpg

xx(

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'd certainly never leave my bike lying in front of anyone that impatient, for fear they'd run over it. I wonder how long I could hold out though, just standing in front of them. Like Arther Dent...

"Oh, come on Mr dent, you can't lie in front of that bulldozer for ever you know"
"I'm game. We'll see who rusts first..."

Sadly, I know that in any confrontation I'd just end up in tears (I so wish I was more assertive), so I'd just look like a twit...

Landslide

Rare Migrant

yenrod

Flying_Monkey said:
This happened to me a year or so ago in Newcastle - and it was a very young man, who didn't seem to understand that a cyclist can't take quite the same chances with tiny gaps in roundabout traffic as an impatient twat in a overpowered hatchback might want to.

Never forget the time when waiting as a bus stop seen some bloke take a chance and pull out (in a car) only for the car to stall - I nearly gave the bloke around of applause ! - jerk !!!!

His face was a real picture.

thomas

the tank engine
yenrod said:
Never forget the time when waiting as a bus stop seen some bloke take a chance and pull out (in a car) only for the car to stall - I nearly gave the bloke around of applause ! - jerk !!!!

His face was a real picture.

I'll admit to laughing at people who've just stalled while effortlessly overtaking ;)

http://www.breakglasshammer.co.uk/

"Peace of mind for the price of a pizza!" - Blooming big pizza you'd get for £25 :biggrin:...do like you're idea though ;)

Trillian

i'm of the opinion that if you have physically been touched by the vehicle then any subsequent dammage must be from the initial collision

so bye bye bumper, head lights, number plate

infact, just reach round, rip their number plate off and ride off to police station

they may even get stopped for not having a number plate.

i do know someone who got knocked off, and the plate came off the car - was fun watching the police officer's reaction as he handed him the plate.

Top Bottom