Bono - I'm Overpaid, So Shoot Me...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In all seriousness for a moment, does it not strike anyone else how utterly arrogant you'd have to be to even think "I earn a lot, so shoot me", never mind to actually say it? Especially when telling the rest of the world that they should be spending their money on Nike trainers and other corporate shoot for the good of some underprivileged folk in another country. Patronising self-gratification artist.:sad:

Apologies for the swearing, but I think it's justified when referring to people like Bono. Oh yes ... and what sort of 50-odd year old still refers to himself by a nickname which most teenagers would have grown out of? Honestly, what a c**t.

Oh, aye, a big fan, me. He's godfather to my kids ...

... er, not really, no.:sad:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
A bit lacking in imagination here folks, we have to think conservation to the very end. So it needs to be a highpowered rifle, get Bono, Sting, and several others, in a queue, then you can do them all with one bullet. In fact it could be interesting to see how many can be done with one bullet. There's no shortage of people that qualify for the experiment.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
... and what sort of 50-odd year old still refers to himself by a nickname which most teenagers would have grown out of? Honestly, what a c**t.

Wise words, nothing there that any right minded person could possibly argue with:thumbsup:. And his mate, still calls himself The edge, another c**t.

Mr Pig

I think that Sting came across ok, despite Paxman being his usual belligerent self. It would be nice if now and again one got the feeling that he was interested in more than just point scoring.

Lot of jealous people around maybe? So Sting and Bono have lots of money. So what? They're still just people with choices as to how they are going to spend their time and energy. I quite like to have a pop at famous people too, they're an easy target, but in all seriousness one has to look at one's own life and ask if time and resources are being apportioned better. Seems to me that the people trying to knock others down are often the ones doing the least themselves.

That's as maybe ... but Bono is a nob. :sad: I'm certainly not jealous of him, and it's not his money that makes me think he's a nob. Just his arrogant attitude and his presumption in taking it upon himself to tell the rest of us that spending our money on Nike products can make the world a better place. Yes, well cheers for that, Bono. Now fuck off.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Rhythm Thief said:
It's the indefinite article that gets me
Yes, that is very weird. There's a photographer on a forum I'm on who insists on referring to himself as 'The BIG Dog' (his capitalisation) ...

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Mr Pig said:
Lot of jealous people around maybe? So Sting and Bono have lots of money. So what? They're still just people with choices as to how they are going to spend their time and energy. I quite like to have a pop at famous people too, they're an easy target, but in all seriousness one has to look at one's own life and ask if time and resources are being apportioned better. Seems to me that the people trying to knock others down are often the ones doing the least themselves.

I think you miss the point almost entirely. It's not about jealousy, it's about the fact that he feels the need to lecture people about what they should do with their more limited resources, whilst he indulges in things like immensely unpopular and wasteful property development and is a total corporate whore.

And your assumption that those of us who find Bono irritating and hypocritical is just that - an assumption with no basis in any knowledge of what any of us do.

Apart from that, a pretty good post... :sad:

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I am not huge fans of Brangelina, But was reading something about their charity work and aside from adopting half the orphans in the world Brad gave £4 million last year with a reported £45 million worth I didnt think that was too bad... how many of us contribute 10% (ish) of our earnings a year to charity?

Shame he wasn't asking to be shot though.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Wigsie said:
how many of us contribute 10% (ish) of our earnings a year to charity?

I would hope it would be more than a few, and for some it might be substantially more than 10%. I'd qualify it by saying 'progressive causes' - there's plenty of charities that don't deserve the name or are even counter-productive, and plenty of good causes that don't have charitable status.

In any case, the point with incredibly high earners, as with tax, is that 10% means rather less to them. For many people, 5% might be all the disposable income they have, but in the case of Bono and Angelina Jolie and co., that's the kind of percentage they could lose down the back of their sofa.

50% would be acceptable with their income; 90% would impress me.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Flying_Monkey said:
I would hope it would be more than a few, and for some it might be substantially more than 10%. I'd qualify it by saying 'progressive causes' - there's plenty of charities that don't deserve the name or are even counter-productive, and plenty of good causes that don't have charitable status.

In any case, the point with incredibly high earners, as with tax, is that 10% means rather less to them. For many people, 5% might be all the disposable income they have, but in the case of Bono and Angelina Jolie and co., that's the kind of percentage they could lose down the back of their sofa.

50% would be acceptable with their income; 90% would impress me.

Jesus.... dont impress easy do you!

Top Bottom