Bontrager front hub overhaul

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

autolycus

Über Member
I've just stripped out the bearings and there appears to be some wear in one of the races. I guess it's not a sealed unit - is it possible to get a replacement? A search for 'bontrager front hub bearings' doesn't produce much of any help. Thanks.
hub.jpg

lpretro1

Once the bearing seat is damaged like that the only solution is to replace the hub. You can rebuild the wheel with a new one but if these are the stock Bontrager wheels then you may wish to consider taking the opportunity to upgrade to a better set. You might also wish to examine the rims and see if there is significant wear on them - at which point I'd say replace the wheel not worth re-building.

lpretro1

You can just put some new ball bearings in with lots of new grease ( the damage has been caused by running too long without grease) but with that wear they will never be really smooth

OP
OP
autolycus

autolycus

Über Member
Thanks for the advice - i take it that there is no way i can replace the bearing races inside the hub then?

lpretro1

Thanks for the advice - i take it that there is no way i can replace the bearing races inside the hub then?
If you mean the bearing seat (cup) that is in your picture showing the damaged surface - no that is integral to the hub as I explained above - you need a new hub. You can pout new ball bearings in as it is but it will be rough. If you look at the cone (the bit you screw into the hub to locate against the bearings) you may well find that is also pitted - you can sometimes find replacements for those but they need to be an exact match - your LBS may be able to help

Top Bottom