Boobs & HRM

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
I want to buy my rowing daughter a Heart rate monitor for Xmas.

When she borrowed my Polar she could not get a reading - complaining she was either dead of her boobs/bra were getting in the way and she could not position the strap correctly. (She is averagely endowed, btw)

Any advice from the ladies here present?

Chrisz

Über Member
Ideally the belt needs to go below the boobs - an underwire bra can interfere with the reading. Polar do sell sports bras with the transmitter built in.

PS I'm not a girl :becool: but I do have a fair amount of experience using HRMs on women :smile:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
The HRM monitor needs to sit under the bra - probably best to put it on before putting a bra on.Boobs shouldn't be an issue unless someone has a large cup size and then there's the option of a HRM built into a sports bra - can't remember which brand.

I find Polar works well with me.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Just a couple of other thoughts - is the size of the hrm strap the correct size? They're sold as medium standard through Polar. It could possibly be that the size is too large? though she'd have to have a tiny ribcage measurement for that to happen? Perhaps the strap's not being adjusted right? Do you have a pop button model for the monitor to fit the strap or the hook through strap fastening?

the strap and monitor should sit under chest and bra

zacklaws

Guru
I understand that it is possible to fit the HRM monitor on the back which would only leave the straps at the front, so that may work.

adscrim

Veteran
zacklaws said:
I understand that it is possible to fit the HRM monitor on the back which would only leave the straps at the front, so that may work.
+1

My Garmin advises using the back if you are having trouble getting a reading.

Jonathan M

I seem to recall reading somewhere about trying the strap upside down as well (on the front of the chest).

My wife (who is more than averagely endowed ) can't get a HRM to read either, and she has tried wearing it on her back and upside down on her chest.

zacklaws

Guru
I use a Garmin one and looking at the Polar ones, its the same design, one strap that goes around the chest and you can wear it with the monitor at the front or the back

scook94

Veteran
Would tend to agree, I have my strap positioned just below my moobs. As long as I run the contacts under the tap I get a signal, no probs.

Top Bottom