Book on excercise physiology recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidg

Bascially I am after a book for the mrs (not necessarily for cycling, in fact doesnt need need to be at all) on how training affects the body...

basically things like
high intensity training is good for cardio fitness and shocks the body a bit more...
lower intensity for endurance....

but obviously slight more in depth or better than I can explaining

it can be about different types of training and how that affects the body rather than physiology as when I search in amazon for that type of thing a lot of quite expensive scientific books come up which will be too much for her as she is not that much of a scientist plus English is her second language...

cheers

lore of running - tim noakes?

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
David, what kind of info will she want from it? What does she want to learn?

I've got a couple of books from the complete guides range which are quite readable, one on nutrition and the other cycling specific.
Just searched amazon and there is one for sports training which might do the trick. Worth leafing through it first maybe.

Best option is probably a trip to the local public library, or if you live near a particularly small and poorly stocked library, a bigger one slightly further away - you're never far from an OK library in London. You and your girlfriend will have plenty of time to browse all that's on the sports shelves and see which books do and which don't suit your reading preferences. If you find something you like, you can always head to the shops or Amazon and buy your own copy if you prefer.

OP
OP
davidg

davidg

cheers people.

that complete guide looks quite interesting, tt.

I was looking for something extra for her birthday today, but not really sure what I want which is half the problem!

She is quite into nutrition as well. the complete guide nutrition gets quite good reveiws on amazon but oddly there arent reviews of the sports training one...?

BearPear

Veteran
Mr BP got me one from the KISS range (Keep it Simple, Stupid (no offence!)).

It explains all about exercise and what th do for each part of the body. Quite a simple, straightforward guide which I guess is what you're after?

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi David

I have the nutrition one-it's quite good and simple in it'sexplanations
if there were cycling specific books you wanted to know about, I have a few.

OP
OP
davidg

davidg

that could be the one.

I'm interested in cycling ones, although at the moment am being coached by Joe Friel's triathlon bible as am doing an Olympic one in Hyde park in July...(running is the devil's work!).

I have in the back of my mind though, the fact that I am going to do 4 seasons Fred in September so need to work on everything for that!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
If she wants a women's specific cycling one- gale bernhardt has a great book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bicycling-W...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266324340&sr=8-3

I don't recall is being overly technical but I am a bit of a geek when it comes to cycling.

Joe friel is good for training plans etc - there was a great series for triathlon that did each of the three disciplines and published a book on each - the cycling one I remember was really great - best description of a full push/pull movement when pedalling.

What's also worthwhile are the physiology/muscle group work out books - I'll have a look and come back with titles of what's on the shelf.

Top Bottom