Books: What you recommend as a good cycling read, either fiction or nonfiction?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
'Road to Valour, Gino Bartali, Tour de France Legend and WW2 hero by Aili Mc Connon...
big title, good book.

matiz

Guru
Bikie. Charlie Woods
A racing cyclists worst nightmare, Tony Hewson
One more kilometre and we're in the showers, Tim Hilton.
Bad Blood,Jeremy Whittle
Riding through the storm,Geiff Thomas
and finally my favourite,
The Beautiful machine,Graeme Fife (a Zen like paean to the joy of cycling)

KneesUp

Guru
I enjoyed Gironimo! Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy by Tim Moore

also, Eddy Merckx, The Cannibal by Daniel Friebe was quite good, especially as I didn't know much about his era (my first Tdf was 1985)

I've just finished Janapar - Love on a Bikeby Tom Allen, which was also quite good.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I enjoyed Gironimo! Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy by Tim Moore
I too enjoyed that. I've just finished reading his The Cyclist who Went out in the Cold which was equally good, if not better, as it had a slightly weightier "back story" (if that's the right phrase) as he ruminates on the history of the Cold War.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Cycling in Europe by Nicholas Crane, 1984. In its day it did more than anything to mould my attitude and approach to cycling.

I know where it is - roughly - and I must dig it out. A lot will seem dated - there was a country called Yugoslavia, no-one had heard of a mountain bike, and the recommended bikes now appear regularly on eBay as "vintage". Now that the author is so well-known from Coast, I'll probably hear everything in his voice, so it could all seem very different.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage.

It's a passionate, angry and brave book. Paul K is a divisive figure - gobsh1te is a phrase I've heard more than once - and by his own admission he struggles to be dispassionate and objective, but with all the mea culpa autobiographies that have been written recently by pros from era of uncontrolled blood doping, it's worth remembering this came out in 1990.

gaz71

Über Member
Im currently reading (and enjoying) The man who cycled the world, by Mark Beaumont.I will be putting it up for a raffle this week as ive nearly finished it.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The Sweat of the Gods - Benjo Maso
A really interesting examination of the legends of cycling, the truth of them, and whether the sport needs these tales of victorious suffering for its success.

Top Bottom