Books: What you recommend as a good cycling read, either fiction or nonfiction?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clockworksimon

Über Member
Lots of books mentioned already are really good.
To add to the list
The Breakaway - Nicole Cooke. Brilliant book and whilst I knew she was good, I was not previously aware of quite how fantastic she was and how difficult her achievements were.
The Badger - William Fotheringham. Just finished this last night. Fascinating read.
French Revolutions - Tim Moore. Not everyone gets it but I find it really funny even after re-reading.

Am interested to read the biographies by David Millar and Tyler Hamilton but as a point of principle I will not reward them for being known cheats. Will get from library or borrow eventually. After reading Nicole Cooke's book my resolve hardened even more on this.

U

User169

I wanted to like this book, and I did read it all the way to the end, but sometimes Rendell's books seem a bit slow and dull to me.

It was the same with the Pantani book, the first two thirds were good, but the last bit seemed to turn into a medical dictionary.

I know what you mean. It's a bit the same with the book on Colombian cycling which really needed to be better edited.

He picks such good subject matter though, that I still enjoy his books on balance.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
"It's not about the bike" by Lance Armstrong, to be filed under Fiction / Humor.

On a more serious note: I do have a copy of "The Rider" by Tim Krabbe, but for some reason had trouble getting through it.

clockworksimon

Über Member
The Year - Dave Barter. Gripping insight into the highest mileage in a year record. Really good if you like a bit of history.

Triumphs and Turbulance - Chris Boardman

Reactions: gbb

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Am interested to read the biographies by David Millar and Tyler Hamilton but as a point of principle I will not reward them for being known cheats. Will get from library or borrow eventually. After reading Nicole Cooke's book my resolve hardened even more on this.
The Hamilton book is worth reading as a fascinating insight into US postal era, so if you can get hold of a copy while keeping your conscience clear, do so. The Millar book I found to be a bit meh, so don't endanger your immortal soul to read it.

I was very disappointed with the Cooke book. There wasn't a single recipe in it. Boom boom! Seriously, I agree about the Nicole Cooke book. One of the best sports books I've read.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I have in physical form......
Good Vibrations - Crossing Europe on a Bike Called Reggie by Andrew P Sykes. An account of a first tour by a complete noob.
Roads Were Not Built For Cars by Carlton Reid. I'm only on page 19 but its a fascinating read so far as to how the road network came about.
I have on the phones kindle app......
Mud, Sweat & Gears by Ellie Bennet. Hilarious account of an end to end.
Cycles, Tents and Two Young Gents by Steve Roach. Another funny read about touring.

All highly recommended.

mynydd

Veteran
Flying Scotsman by Graeme Obree is a fascinating and eye opening book. an extraordinary man

gbb

Legendary Member
The Year - Dave Barter. Gripping insight into the highest mileage in a year record. Really good if you like a bit of history.

Triumphs and Turbulance - Chris Boardman
Another one from Dave Barter , a tongue in cheek, comical read about himself that rings true for many of us i suspect..
'Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder'

Globalti

Legendary Member
The Escape Artist - excellent reminiscing of an amateur racer.

The Escape Artist is more than just reminiscences. It's an excellent little explanation of the more mysterious lore of road cycling including the best explanation I've read of leg shaving. It's non-fiction and has a shockingly tragic twist in the tail, which you can read from the other person's perspective if you seek out the book.

Last edited:

Ice2911

Über Member
I have in physical form......
Good Vibrations - Crossing Europe on a Bike Called Reggie by Andrew P Sykes. An account of a first tour by a complete noob.
Roads Were Not Built For Cars by Carlton Reid. I'm only on page 19 but its a fascinating read so far as to how the road network came about.
I have on the phones kindle app......
Mud, Sweat & Gears by Ellie Bennet. Hilarious account of an end to end.
Cycles, Tents and Two Young Gents by Steve Roach. Another funny read about touring.

All highly recommended.
I listened to mud sweat and gears and that is one of the reasons I'm doing LEJOG this year based on the long pub crawl idea :smile:

Top Bottom