Books: What you recommend as a good cycling read, either fiction or nonfiction?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Yellow Jersey Club. Edward Charles. Not sure if already been mentioned but most of the living winners have chapters in the book and a lot of them spoke face to face to the author. Some fascinating insights.

One Man and His Bike, its about a bloke that takes about 6 months or so to cycle around the coast of mainland Britain. I think he visited the odd island aswell.

Cycling Plus magazine, I always keep a copy in case I run out of toilet paper.

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
I'm sure it's been said several times on this thread, but The World of Cycling according to G is very interesting. It's a nice change from sports autobiography (I did this event, then this one, then this happened, then this event.....). It's got the anecdotes and whatnot that we're curious to know about. Never goes into any real depth, but it's an enjoyable read.

froze

Über Member
Someone mentioned "Eddy Merckx, The Cannibal" that was a great biography about the greatest racer in the sport.

Historically I found "Mapping Le Tour" by Ellis Bacon to be an interesting read.

If you want to learn about touring the best book I ran across to date is "The Essential Touring Cyclist: A Complete guide" (second edition) by Richard A. Lovett This book was written in 2001 so it has a few dated equipment mentioned but the type of equipment is not dated, and the principles and techniques taught are still very accurate and probably will remain accurate for a very long time.

If you want to learn how to perform better "The Cyclist's Training Bible" by Joe Friel is very worthy of being in your library.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
A recent surprise for me was R.D.Taylor's 'Island Story'

"On a bike, one drinks in the entire journey. One call pull over at any point on the road to eat some grub, grab the ear of a passer-by or piss behind a bush. It had a lot recommending it … I wanted to show what could be done, and focus on the journey rather than the tedious data of mileage or performance that distract so many cyclists. So I didn’t have a milometer, I wore jeans and a shirt, a harrington when it rained" Repeater Books

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
"Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance", by Lennard Zinn. I've found it useful on numerous occasions.

pjd57

Veteran
In search of Robert Miller by Richard Moore.

Quite topical again.

iandg

Legendary Member
The Rider - by Tim Krabbé

Quite simply, IMO, it's the best book about cycling there is.

ditto - and 'The Escape Artist' by Matt Seaton too. One of my all time favourite books is 'Always a little further' by Alistair Borthwick - more about hiking/rock climbing but there's a great chapter that mentions cyclists.

Hyslop

Veteran
Just started Giro d'Italia by Colin O' Brien.Essentially a history of the race,its proving to be quite an absorbing read.I'd certainly recommend it.If youre on the hunt for it in a bookshop,the cover is pink,with a picture of Pantani on the front!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not really a cycling book but am rereading The Travels of Tramp Royal by Matt Marshal. Published in 1932 but his travels on foot are very similar to my own cycle trips around Scotland many years ago. He does the North Coast 500 long before it was invented, dossing wherever he could. Quite a bit of poetic licence and flowery language used but that is of the times it was published. It cost me £1.50 but it now sells from £15 upwards. Library best place to get it I think.

Top Bottom