Boonen tests positive for cocaine... again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
Chuffy raises a valid point. The road cycling community has had and still appears to have a problem with doping. The reputation is there and yes, we can point that other sports are not as well tested, but the sport does have a problem.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Doesn't surprise me. Cocaine tends to be taken by arrogant boring w*nkers with too much money...

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Chuffy said:
If only it was that simple. We could scrap treatment for alcoholism, drug addiction, gambling and every other kind of destructive behaviour and replace it with a simple slap from the addict's mum...:rolleyes:

It doesn't work like that CP. Boonen is a grown up and if he wants to be stupid, he will.

Oh and I presume everyone has forgotten the massive fuss made some years ago when Mark Bosnich (Chelsea goalie) was busted for coke. Oh and that other chap (can't recall his name but he cost Chelsea an absolute fortune) who was also sent packing on account of his coke habit.

Addicts - be they gamblers, alcoholics or druggies - all started somewhere, and their friends families did nothing to stop them, hence them developing into the full blown article.

I don't believe Tom is a full blown crackhead just yet, and it is still possible for people (who REALLY care) to give him the reality check he needs.

As I wrote in my first piece, I do think Tom is possibly surrounded by fawning sycophants that don't understand or care about the harm he is doing to himself or his sport.:sad:

I didn't mean to imply addiction could be solved by a slap on the wrist - a good kick up the arse would be a better start.;)

oneday

Flying_Monkey said:
Doesn't surprise me. Cocaine tends to be taken by arrogant boring w*nkers with too much money...

And boring dwarf academics (teachers) with too much ego. ;)

Skip Madness

ComedyPilot said:
Addicts - be they gamblers, alcoholics or druggies - all started somewhere, and their friends families did nothing to stop them, hence them developing into the full blown article.

I don't believe Tom is a full blown crackhead just yet, and it is still possible for people (who REALLY care) to give him the reality check he needs.
This is a massive over-simplification of a complex matter. It is not always apparent that a loved one has a problem, and there may be personal relationship issues which cloud these things. Who among us knows anything about what Tom Boonen's family and friends have done about it? Besides, he is an adult. He should be supported - and what do not know that he is not - but the responsibility is ultimately his.
As I wrote in my first piece, I do think Tom is possibly surrounded by fawning sycophants that don't understand or care about the harm he is doing to himself or his sport.
I do not believe that him taking cocaine does any harm to his sport. It is not a cycling-related matter. It does harm to his personal image but it does so independently of his profession. Any links drawn by the media or the public are their own doing.

In terms of sanctioning, if he has broken the law then follow-up action may be appropriate. I am not really sure why recreational drugs are banned since I seriously doubt that any remote advantages they bring outweigh the disadvantages, but if it is a sporting offence then he cannot really complain about a relevant punishment.

gavintc

Guru
Skip Madness said:
I do not believe that him taking cocaine does any harm to his sport. It is not a cycling-related matter. It does harm to his personal image but it does so independently of his profession. Any links drawn by the media or the public are their own doing.

But, he is a sporting personality. His 'image' will be significantly damaged by this revelation and his team may well find it harder to attract sponsorship as a direct result. There are reports that the German based teams were unable to get sponsorship when their cycling cheats were identified. I acknowledge that these were performance enhancing drugs but sponsor companies are looking for a clean wholesome image. Sponsor money is tight just now.

Boonen is a major name in Belgium. I suggest akin to Beckham here in UK. I think his team will be considering his future contract very very carefully.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Skip Madness said:
This is a massive over-simplification of a complex matter. It is not always apparent that a loved one has a problem, and there may be personal relationship issues which cloud these things. Who among us knows anything about what Tom Boonen's family and friends have done about it?

I see where you are coming from right up to the fact that this is the second time, almost a year to the day that he was last 'found out'.

So to say family and friends were not aware of Tom's 'problem' is a little bit naive. The worlds press knew he was up to no good. I can just envisage Mr & Mrs Boonen cutting clippings out of the paper, and secreting the 'dodgy' ones under the sofa.

You don't know me, or what my values are, but trust me in this, if you were a friend, or a family member, I wouldn't hide behind some pathetic 'personal issue' and stand by and see your hard fought career slip due to your liking of a bit of white.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Cobblers IMHO, CP!;)

He snorts it, he's to blame.

I can see that he may need help but to blame others above himself is perverse, non?

Skip Madness

ComedyPilot said:
So to say family and friends were not aware of Tom's 'problem' is a little bit naive. The worlds press knew he was up to no good.
What if he told them he had stopped using it and all the evidence they saw and heard suggested he was clean?
I can just envisage Mr & Mrs Boonen cutting clippings out of the paper, and secreting the 'dodgy' ones under the sofa.
Speculation does not really suffice in lieu of actual evidence.
You don't know me, or what my values are, but trust me in this, if you were a friend, or a family member, I wouldn't hide behind some pathetic 'personal issue' and stand by and see your hard fought career slip due to your liking of a bit of white.
As I said before, his loved ones may have reasonably believed that he was off the cocaine. You do not know. And personal relationship issues are not pathetic.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
rich p said:
Cobblers IMHO, CP!;)

He snorts it, he's to blame.

I can see that he may need help but to blame others above himself is perverse, non?

Cobblers, Rich, IMO put fine shoes on the gentry.:rolleyes:

Yes, he is to blame, and he will pay the consequences. I don't need to add fuel to that fire.

My gripe is with those around him, just as those around people like George Best & Paul Gascoigne (sp) and of course Maro Pantani. People close to those men KNEW they were heading off the rails, and stood back and watched it, or joined in standing on their shirt tails for a drink at the bar/line cut on a mirror.

Tom is not doing the coke alone, in my experience he will be doing it in a group, with some peer pressure applied. Yes, Tom will have to take responsibility for his actions, but I just hope he'll see THOSE 'friends' for what they are, before it's too late.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Skip Madness said:
What if he told them he had stopped using it and all the evidence they saw and heard suggested he was clean?
Speculation does not really suffice in lieu of actual evidence.
As I said before, his loved ones may have reasonably believed that he was off the cocaine. You do not know. And personal relationship issues are not pathetic.

You state speculation does not suffice, but start off with the line, 'what if..'

Contradiction no?

I was actually trying (badly) to be funny about the Boonen's hiding clips under the sofa. You do realise that don't you?

Just as you state it is wrong for me to suppose that his loved ones did nothing, equally it is wrong for you to suppose they did - after all, how do you know they helped him?

Finally, any personal issue that stops someone acting in the best interests and allows a loved one to carry on taking drugs is IMO pathetic.

Tom knows who gave him the drugs, both last year, and this year. As it is a 'recreational' drug, and usually taken in a nightclub-type environment, my money's on the fact that the same 'friends' that stood by last year when he did it, were there again faithful as ever when he sniffed again.

I have already stated Tom will have to carry the can for this, but my point is why should the so-called 'friends' get away without a mention in his demise?

Top Bottom