Boris Bikes - Should I use one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pottsy

Can you use an Oyster card to pay for Boris Bikes?

No.

Reactions: akb

Davidc

Guru
I use the Barclays (Boris) bikes every time I go to London on my own. It's all been said above, except that if you play the 30 minutes then dock it game to pay only £1 for the day you do need to leave a gap (5 minutes I think) between bikes. I don't bother, just pay up if I need to as it's cheap anyway. Paddington being some way from most of the useful places in London I get caught out quite often.

If you're wearing a suit and it pours with rain you can just park the bike at the next tube station and use your Oyster card. There are loads of docking stations.

As said above do watch out for tyre condition.

I find London a good place to ride around, but some people don't. You'll only find out how you like it by doing it, and if you don't just top up your Oyster.

snorri

Legendary Member
Slightly off topic, but does anyone else have just a tiny bit of sympathy for Barclays who must have pumped a load of money into this scheme and could have reasonably expected the bikes to become known by all as Barclay Bikes? Instead some passing politician gets most of the publicity from the scheme.

Davidc

Guru
^^
The thought had crossed my mind that it could deter them from renewing their sponsorship.

OTOH if Boris is Tory leader by then they'd probably like being associated with him!

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I've used these bikes a bunch of times and think they're great fun! I'm going to a night time explore in the city soon and had to think long and hard about whether I would cart my single speed into town or just hire a Boris bike.

HUGE +1 to the post that recommended shopping about though, in the early days at least half the bikes that I prodded didn't appear to be roadworthy, I'm sure that has improved now though.

rb58

Enigma
I use the Barclays (Boris) bikes every time I go to London on my own. It's all been said above, except that if you play the 30 minutes then dock it game to pay only £1 for the day you do need to leave a gap (5 minutes I think) between bikes. I don't bother, just pay up if I need to as it's cheap anyway. Paddington being some way from most of the useful places in London I get caught out quite often.

As said above do watch out for tyre condition.
I commute to St Pauls. Park my bike in our underground car park, shower etc. than if I have to go anywhere during the day it's on a Boris Bike (unless it's pouring with rain). I believe the gap between hires in 10 minutes. Also, be aware that the charges ramp up quite quickly after the first hour, but I've found I can get to most places quite comfortably within the free period (the first 30 mins). Paddington to the city can sometimes take longer, depending on route/traffic. Check the tyres and adjust the seat before you remove the bike for the dock because they are heavy. Also, there's a technique to removing them easily - lift the back wheel up slightly and a sharp tug will unlock them - I quite often see people struggling to get the out of the docking station without lifting the rear wheel.

As for cycling in the St Pauls area, it's fine. Hundreds of cyclists, a few cycle lanes, and crawling traffic. And if you're stuck for something to do, there's a docking station right outside Condor Cycles :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
As for cycling in the St Pauls area, it's fine. Hundreds of cyclists, a few cycle lanes, and crawling traffic. And if you're stuck for something to do, there's a docking station right outside Condor Cycles :thumbsup:
Are there any good cycling stores in Londn that do cheap deals on stuff? Or is it all just overpriced and cheaper online?

rb58

Enigma
How long have they been around for then? And what do I do if the only one available isnt roadworthy?
Unroadworthy bikes which have been reported as such cannot be unlocked - they're indicated by a red light. You don't see many these days. It's only ever a few hundred metres to another docking station, so if the dock is full when you arrive to return your bike, you can follow the instructions on the screen which allocates you an extra 15 minutes and also tells where the nearest docking station with free space is and how long it'll take you to get there. Likewise, if the dock is empty when you want to hire a bike, you can either linger until someone returns one - it won't be long (usually), or the screen will tell you where the nearest availabe bikes are. It all works rather well really. I love 'em.

rb58

Enigma
Are there any good cycling stores in London that do cheap deals on stuff? Or is it all just overpriced and cheaper online?
There are plenty of bike stores in central London, prices are no more expensive than elsewhere, and many will price match. Evans, Cycle Surgery, On Your Bike are all in the City area. Also some of the more trendy shops are a short Boris Bike away - Brick Lane, Druid Street, Tokyo Fixed. Google is your friend here.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Unroadworthy bikes which have been reported as such cannot be unlocked - they're indicated by a red light. You don't see many these days. It's only ever a few hundred metres to another docking station, so if the dock is full when you arrive to return your bike, you can follow the instructions on the screen which allocates you an extra 15 minutes and also tells where the nearest docking station with free space is and how long it'll take you to get there. Likewise, if the dock is empty when you want to hire a bike, you can either linger until someone returns one - it won't be long (usually), or the screen will tell you where the nearest availabe bikes are. It all works rather well really. I love 'em.
That seems like quite a good system.

As I will be staying overnight, another option is that I go for a little jaunt in the evening, so what are the lights like on these bikes?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Slightly off topic, but does anyone else have just a tiny bit of sympathy for Barclays who must have pumped a load of money into this scheme and could have reasonably expected the bikes to become known by all as Barclay Bikes? Instead some passing politician gets most of the publicity from the scheme.
Thinks....

No. Not one jot. They are bankers of the vilest kind.

Top Bottom