Boris Bikes - Should I use one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
That seems like quite a good system.

As I will be staying overnight, another option is that I go for a little jaunt in the evening, so what are the lights like on these bikes?
Splendid transport for evening night time riding. You don't, generally, need "see by" lights in London just "be seens" and they are fitted a standard, and the West End and City are at their best when lit up at night.

thom

____
Nothing at all. I know that I am going to be staying basically at St Pauls Cathedral and that is it. My transport for the Red Cross event is going to be paid for so I suspect it will be the bus (or taxi). My best bet would be to get a map and have an explore of the main attractions.

Just as dmoran said, my best bet would probably be to use it for under 30 mins each time.

I reckon Barclays bikes are great for getting around central London.
I can't abide by the Boris moniker though ;-)

I live not far from St Pauls within the hire bike area and find them really convenient. Being in the congestion zone the traffic is kind of ok.
If you're looking to explore and get a feel for the layout of the city, well the obvious thing is to follow the river to Tower Bridge in one direction and to the Houses of Parliament in the other.
You might want to spot the Bank of England, Monument, Tower of London, the London Assembly, Borough Market, The Globe, Tate Britain en route. Certainly with a Barclays bike it's a bit more acceptable to pootle on the pedestrianised parts. It's perhaps worthwhile having a map marking the docking stations.

North of Embankment, there's Trafalgar Square, Whitehall, the Royal Parks, Buckingham palace, Hyde Park, the Royal Albert Hall etc. and if your aim is to get a feel for the layout of London and perhaps cherry pick a few specific places to visit, I would definitely recommend them.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Another thumbs-up for Boris bikes - great fun and you can ride 'em like you stole 'em.

I think the OP may be trying to plan too much in advance - one of the beauties of the system is it's designed for spontaneous decision making.

My only tip would be to buy a week's access which I think is £5, rather than pay £1 a day for two or three days.

I paid daily during my last visit and the 24 hour period ran out when I didn't want it to a couple of times.

Paying another £1 was hard work on one occasion.

Had I paid a fiver in the first place, it would have reduced the number of touch screen touchings significantly.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Although I travel into London a fair bit I just automatically use the tube/ bus or walk, rarely take a bike. I finally used a Boris bike today. I picked out one with a clean chain and rims. Pretty good, everything worked- although it was so clean I was probably the first to use it! must've been delivered that morning.

Docked it on the south side of Blackfriars bridge and picked out the same bike for the return journey a couple of hours later.

God knows why I haven't used them before, it's a great way to get around.

What happens if your unable to return the boris bike for whatever reason? Accidents happen. Will they keep charging you?

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
There is a possibility that I am going to be staying over in London for 2 nights. 1 with an event with Red Cross and another with my family.
The red cross event is over 2 days and I would be staying over for the end of the seond day as my family will be coming down on the 3rd morning.

To make it simple: The red cross event is on Thursday and Friday. My family are coming down on Saturday.
I will most likely have Friday night and Saturday morning to just roam the streets of London and get myself something to eat.

My question it this: Is it worth purchasing a boris bike for a little while and exploring the city? Also, would any riders on here commute around the St Pauls Cathedral area?

My knowledge and experience preceeds the inception of BB but you will find that everything you want to see is compacted into a relatively small geographic area, so the £1 ticket with 30 minute stints all day would be ample time to get from place to place. Have a great time, and try to get the family onto BB's too.

Buzzinonbikes

Whenever I visit London which is fairly rarely I hire a borris bike at any chance I get. Great fun riding an upright heavy beast and the best way to see the sites in my opinion. Even managed to get my none cyclist colleagues out round Hyde park last time!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
What happens if your unable to return the boris bike for whatever reason? Accidents happen. Will they keep charging you?

I've never crashed on one, but there's a number you can ring with any problems.

The number gets you through to someone in Boris Bikes HQ (not a call centre) and the two times I called they were helpful.

Bodhbh

Guru
Seems better to tack this onto the end of this thread than start a new one...how are the Boris bikes if you're in a hurry? Any problems finding or docking them at peak times?

Looking to get from Waterloo to Kings X in a couple of days. I'm changing trains and have about 30-40mins. Normally I'd take my own, but it won't be possible this time around.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Seems better to tack this onto the end of this thread than start a new one...how are the Boris bikes if you're in a hurry? Any problems finding or docking them at peak times?

Looking to get from Waterloo to Kings X in a couple of days. I'm changing trains and have about 30-40mins. Normally I'd take my own, but it won't be possible this time around.

Finding a bike in Waterloo during rush hour is damn near impossible.
I wouldn't want to chance your luck.

thom

____

Yes there can be issues. I think leaving at train stations should be ok in terms of finding a dock. Mostly I have problems leaving them within central areas like Soho on a weekend evening or week day morning, or round the city on weekday mornings. I think stations should be ok to leave at because you get a regular stream of people arriving there and looking to take a bike to finish their journey.
If I were you, I'd cross Waterloo bridge and turn right along the Strand, looking to get to Kings Cross on Grey's Inn Road, which is perhaps not as simple as going across BlackFriar's bridge and straight up past Farringdon but does avoid the busy junction at BlackFriar's station.

Bodhbh

Guru
Finding a bike in Waterloo during rush hour is damn near impossible.
I wouldn't want to chance your luck.

Okay cheers. tbh, I think I've nearly walked it in 40mins...which might be better than messing about. Or just walking part way to avoid changing lines. From memory the Northern line is okay till Euston, then can get hairy waiting for a connection.

Yes there can be issues. I think leaving at train stations should be ok in terms of finding a dock. Mostly I have problems leaving them within central areas like Soho on a weekend evening or week day morning, or round the city on weekday mornings. I think stations should be ok to leave at because you get a regular stream of people arriving there and looking to take a bike to finish their journey.
If I were you, I'd cross Waterloo bridge and turn right along the Strand, looking to get to Kings Cross on Grey's Inn Road, which is perhaps not as simple as going across BlackFriar's bridge and straight up past Farringdon but does avoid the busy junction at BlackFriar's station.

I've done the route on my own bike a few times so have that down pat (although doesn't hurt to try a change, I normally go over Waterloo bridge adn take the Kingsway) like I say just don't want to be stuck fiddling around finding/dumping a bike with the clock ticking.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Boris bikes can be a 'mare round stations. Either finding one or leaving.

Waterloo>Kingsway>Southampton Row>Woburn PLace is a reasonably quick walk and there's at least one direct bus.

By tube I'd get the Northern Line to Euston then walk the half mile past the British Library to King's Cross. Changing between the West End Northern Line and either the City Northern or Victoria is an effort.

Euston to Kings Cross is northbound on the Victoria Line but southbound on the Northern (City)!!

Top Bottom