Boris No-helmet.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
I forgot my helmet today. I was in a rush to leave the house (it was a case of if I left it any later I'd have to drive to work), and in my haste totally forgot to put my helmet and my gloves on.
You know what, when I got to work my boss told me off for not wearing my helmet!

spindrift

“I think there is a vital necessity to drive out so-called minor crime and disorder as a way of driving out more serious crime.”

Boris Johnson.
Talking the talk, but not walking the walk.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
With or without helmets, the benefits of cycling far outweigh the risks. On average you'll live 2 years longer and have the fitness and health of someone 10 years younger.

OP
OP
dondare

dondare

Über Member
col said:
So what do you think?

I pointed out that cycling is less dangerous than walking and no-one expects pedestrians to wear a lid. I said that helmet-wearing cyclists help perpetuate the myth that cycling on roads is dangerous and this leads to people doing things that they believe to be safer but are actually less so, such as cycling on the pavement or walking instead. I said that Boris should be applauded for going helmet-free but prosecuted for jumping the lights.

My comment wasn't printed. One that said: "cyclists never obey the law they don't think the rules apply to them blah blah blah" was, of course.

Now Boris has promised to be an exemplary cyclist, stopping at lights and wearing a helmet. We'll see.

OP
OP
dondare

dondare

Über Member
Something just occured to me. Do you remember that accademic in Bristol who rode about wearing either a helmet, a blonde wig or no headgear at all measuring the distance at which vehicles passed him? If he wore a helmet they came closer but with the wig they gave him more room.

Boris must be given more than enough room when he gets overtaken.

Here's the link.

http://www.bath.ac.uk/news/articles/archive/overtaking110906.html

stephenb

Guru
did anyone else see something in one of the weekend papers about being 20 times more likely to be killed cycling than walking per mile (kilometer??) travelled? Anyone know if it's true? Or if it's a valid comparison?:sad:

domtyler

Über Member
stephenb said:
did anyone else see something in one of the weekend papers about being 20 times more likely to be killed cycling than walking per mile (kilometer??) travelled? Anyone know if it's true? Or if it's a valid comparison?:sad:

Well, the point that immediately spring to mind is that you can cycle a lot more miles per unit time that you can walk.

OP
OP
dondare

dondare

Über Member
stephenb said:

Is that from memory? I saw something recently that put walking as more dangerous per mile than cycling, which is consistant with previous reports.
I think that cyclists have fewer serious accidents per mile, per hour spent travelling and per journey, as well as fewer in terms of absolute numbers.

BentMikey said:
With or without helmets, the benefits of cycling far outweigh the risks. On average you'll live 2 years longer and have the fitness and health of someone 10 years younger.

I thought you lived 10 years longer on average.

Actually of you are right BM then despite being 10 years younger (health wise) we would appear to die 8 years earlier than would be expected (health wise). That's actually quite worrying!!

(Although this still suggests that we would live 2 years longer on average)

dodgy

I'm normally a helmet wearer, but decided to go 'topless' today on a 45 mile spin. Quite liberating really, plus I got a nice tan on my forehead, which is more important than protecting my head, obviously ;)

Dave.

some facts that i read ages ago that seem to have stuck in my mind,
1. you would only benefit from a skid lid if you were travelling below 14 mph and you were struck on the top of the kranium.
2. the most dangerous area to hit is the back of the neck, lower kranium...as you know most road helmets are open backed.
i know these won't be very persuasive points to the pro-helmet out there but valid non the less.

Plax

Guru
dodgy said:
I'm normally a helmet wearer, but decided to go 'topless' today on a 45 mile spin. Quite liberating really, plus I got a nice tan on my forehead, which is more important than protecting my head, obviously :tongue:

Dave.

I found my non helmet wearing quite liberating today too, particularly on the way home when it's all up hill.
I'm too scared to not wear mine now though as the boss said "and don't forget your helmet tomorrow" before I left the office. :evil:

Top Bottom