Boris's Bike Watch...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
There have been a lot of rental bikes stolen here in Oslo this year. Around 300. Equalling the total for the previous 3 years.

I've seen rental bikes, possibly stolen, going past with the mudguards removed and sporting a new paint job!

What happens in the London scheme if you lose a bike (stolen from outside a shop for example) when its out registered in your name?

jujubi

The way I understand it you're not supposed to ever leave the bike outside a shop etc., only at docking stations. Which means that you might have to walk a certain distance between the station and the place you want to go. So the scheme wouldn't be all that useful for shopping roundtrips during which you might want to visit a large number of different shops scattered around central London.
If you do leave your bike elsewhere and it is stolen, you apparently have to pay several hundred pounds to replace it. :ohmy:

That said, I'm still excited about it.

"(horizontal crossbar + pencil skirt = :ohmy: )"
I've done it. It wasn't pretty, but I've done it.

brokenbetty

Über Member
That's odd, the map on the TFL website doesn't show any docking stations in the City. Does the scheme not cover this area? I know there's a different mayor here...

brokenbetty

Über Member
The way I understand it you're not supposed to ever leave the bike outside a shop etc., only at docking stations. Which means that you might have to walk a certain distance between the station and the place you want to go.

Goodness, you are right. That's a bit cr*p.

Pottsy

It did when I looked this morning. One near The Bank of England, maybe Lothbury. Also saw one on Cheapside and one on East Cheap if I recall correctly.

BigSteev

That's odd, the map on the TFL website doesn't show any docking stations in the City. Does the scheme not cover this area? I know there's a different mayor here...

There are definitely some missing off of the map. Junction of Brushfield St and Bishopsgate for starters.

Stephenite

Membå
Similar to Oslo then - in that if you lose a bike you pay a replacement fee (Oslo its £300).

I occasionally use a cheap combination lock when out n about shopping. But, obviously, not thief proof more of a deterrent.

perplexed

Guru
As others have pointed out, the scheme has flaws, but I hope it does really well. Maybe it would then tempt Sheffield, Birmingham, Liverpool, Glasgow etc etc to follow suit.

I am reasonably familiar with some bits of London, but 30 minutes "per go" is really not sufficient, and would end up being a faff if the place you want to get to is 35 minutes away, and thats with you knowing where you're going.

I realize that some spare capacity in racks is left, but it's still going to cause problems at popular destinations, I would have thought...

Still, good luck to it and lets see what happens!

jollyrog

These bikes have registration numbers painted on the side and the system knows who has hired which.

I wonder how long it will be before users start receiving penalty notices for RLJing and the like.

Excellent.

BigSteev

Right then, first ride report.

Seemed (unsurprisingly) heavy to push but once on and riding it was fine. Gearing - for me 1 was too low, very spiny, 2 and 3 were fine. Saddle was very padded which is fine for pottering around, height was easily adjustable and the seatpost is marked with heights so you can remember your setting. Brakes didn't have much 'feel' to them but worked adequately. Pedals were grippy enough - not sure about in the wet though. The rack on the front comes with a couple of elasticated straps to hold a bag securely which is nice.
Overall impression was that they're pretty good and suitable for the short hops they were intended for.

However, they appear to be experiencing some teething issues. Having moored up my original bike and bought my lunch, I went to get a second one for the return journey (yes, it was over a 5 minute gap). However, inserting my key failed to light the magic green light and instead I just got a red, so I had to walk back. :sad:

Hopefully this should be rectified shortly.

Alan Whicker

OK. Just back from Borough Market with a huntsman pie from Silfield Farm :biggrin:

Took more effort than I thought to get it out of the dock - needs a good old tug. As everyone says, the bike is heavy but comfy. A big friendly dog of a bicycle. No effort on the gentle hill over Southwark Bridge. Docked with no problems on Southwark Street in front of an audience which included Boris Johnson, who was cycling past. Bought pie, zipped back over the river - and tried to dock on Great Tower Street. The dock made a grinding noise, and locked in the bike. But the red light stayed on. Hmmm. Rang the call centre, not wanting a computer somewhere thinking i've nicked the bike. Call centre person told me not to worry, it's fine. I'm going to keep an eye on my account though...

Jezston

Über Member
Ha! I like the receipt it prints out saying your to and from and journey time - the Paris Velib doesn't do that.

They should attach GPS to them and tell you your distance rode and average speed, cadence, height etc ;)

Top Bottom