Boris's Bike Watch...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nasserblue

So this morning did anyone see a Boris Bike being used?

I saw the grand total of NONE, load in the racks though.

Although it was reported in the changing room that somebody had seen one being used near Marylebone.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I saw two tester people using them last night, they rode past the Albert Memorial.

Why would anybody want to 'short term' rent a bike before 9 in the morning? That time of day is only for commuters.

Sorry guys :whistle: - I don't live in London and am just a month today from retirement. I'm thinking of getting a senior rail card so I can get to London more often and a hire bike might appeal to me then.

OP
OP
N

nasserblue

I presumed it was commuters he was after. So someone arrives at Waterloo, and instead of a bus, a taxi, or the drain they cycle to their office.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bloody Hell, give the scheme a chance why don't you?
I think that the scheme is going to be very popular.
You call it the Boris Bike but wasn't it Livingstone who originally set the scheme up?
So this morning did anyone see a Boris Bike being used?

I saw the grand total of NONE, load in the racks though.

Although it was reported in the changing room that somebody had seen one being used near Marylebone.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I think the scheme is a great idea (I like the Paris one too) however given the temperament of the average London hoodie, they will just have the sh*t kicked out of them whilst still on the stands. It'll be a great shame if this happens and I really hope it doesn't but I can't see our thugs acting out of character.

shippers

I'd use them if I could get off the train and cycle a couple of miles to the office. Not sure how well it will work, but I think generally optomistic.
Would be concerned about the Yoof of London trashing them though.

Innit.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Saw a news report on the BBC this morning. 42,000 people have registered for the scheme.
I will definitely use them when in town for one reason or another.

Also Martin, I think Paris suffered from the same problem you are suggesting. With many of the bikes vandalised and/or stolen.

manalog

Über Member
I saw a group of 6 people using them last Wed. This morning I went pass the Docking Stations in Tooley st and they were more than half empty, so people are using them.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyVcIhVGGI

OP
OP
N

nasserblue

There are more docking stations than bikes. So you are bound to see empty ones. The scheme didn't start until to day so anyone you saw last week was testing the system.

I didn't mean to be negative about the scheme. I just wondered if anyone had seen them used and if so where.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Saw a news report on the BBC this morning. 42,000 people have registered for the scheme.
I will definitely use them when in town for one reason or another.

Also Martin, I think Paris suffered from the same problem you are suggesting. With many of the bikes vandalised and/or stolen.

Yeah I think Paris' problem was mainly stolen bikes but the report this morning said that London had learnt from Paris' mistake so we'll see with that one.

I think the London hooligan is unfortunately several steps up from the Paris one (except in the banlieues and I don't think they put racks there!!)

manalog

Über Member
There are more docking stations than bikes. So you are bound to see empty ones. The scheme didn't start until to day so anyone you saw last week was testing the system.

I didn't mean to be negative about the scheme. I just wondered if anyone had seen them used and if so where.

I didn't know, I thought the docking stations would be fully populated, I suppose it makes sense to have spare stations. I saw 6 people riding them in Tooley St. last Wednesday evening

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I saw about 4 in Hyde park today.

The station on baker street has 25 stations. 6 working with a bike in each. 19 out of order. Fantastic.

melliff

Almost the first thing I saw as I cycled out of Waterloo on my Brommie this morning (8:20am) was a guy in a suit riding one. And I saw two more in use on the way to work.

Can't wait to try one myself.

Top Bottom