Borrowed time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Look at my rear Conti 5000 TL after maybe 1500 miles.
Would that have been a pinch flat with a tube? I’ve probably had too much pressure in rather than too little. The only real bangs I can recall are from the Fred Whitton cattle grids back mid May. I will be buying IRC from Japan next.

Attachments

• 9DA4ED65-FCC7-450C-A241-8C7E3FD19495.jpeg
    9DA4ED65-FCC7-450C-A241-8C7E3FD19495.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 15

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Scuffed by a big stone, I'd say, but doesn't look serious (assuming that's an inflated tyre).

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Scuffed by a big stone, I'd say, but doesn't look serious (assuming that's an inflated tyre).
The slit is a mirror image on the other side. It’s not that deep but it’s created the loss of shape to a small degree.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Hmm. I still think the angle of the damage doesn't suggest a pinch puncture. Possibly it dropped into a crevice narrow enough to damage both sides. Bulges are not good for longevity.

Mr Celine

Discordian
It's on the back and you haven't noticed it, carry on but keep an eye on it.
I've got worse on my conti gp4000s which going by previous experience will have to be binned at 7500 miles when the tread wears out.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
It's on the back and you haven't noticed it, carry on but keep an eye on it.
I've got worse on my conti gp4000s which going by previous experience will have to be binned at 7500 miles when the tread wears out.
Tomorrow’s club ride I may risk but bin it off afterwards. Could always put the winter wheels on but should be ok.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Perhaps I didn't word my post well enough.

If your tyre carcass is damaged and bulging it means the nylon or cotton threads have broken. If the bulge is mirrored obliquely across the tyre it means the carcass is opening up. I don't know about others but I wouldn't fancy a blowout going down a hill at 30 mph.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Perhaps I didn't word my post well enough.

If your tyre carcass is damaged and bulging it means the nylon or cotton threads have broken. If the bulge is mirrored obliquely across the tyre it means the carcass is opening up. I don't knows about others but I wouldn't fancy a blowout going down a hill at 30 mph.
Might just stick the other back wheel on.

Venod

Eh up
I have stopped using Conti tyres, I had a few fail with side wall damage, not tubeless though, GP 4000 if I remember correctly.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I have stopped using Conti tyres, I had a few fail with side wall damage, not tubeless though, GP 4000 if I remember correctly.
Some folk are saying it’s my fault. Some chumps on the internet. That’s a side wall fail matched on either side.

DRM

Guru
I can’t say I’m overly impressed by continental tyres, I’ve had a brand new ultra sport, fitted on a brand new bike, split across the tread after one 50 km ride, I’ve had GP4000S start to split in less then 1000 Km’s of riding, the ultra sports were on a bike supplied by Wiggle who wouldn’t replace them f.o.c but let me have replacement tyres at half price, I keep an eye on them if I see any more splitting they’ll be binned & replaced with a better quality tyre, my best bike now has Michelin Lithion 2’s on which were dirt cheap and so far have performed very well, unlike the Conti GP4000S which were expensive rubbish.

Mr Celine

Discordian
This one definitely was a snakebite...

IMG_5904[1].JPG

....probably due to an experiment running at lower pressures for added comfort. There is a matching smaller mark on the other side. On close inspection today there is now a very slight bump in the sidewall which wasn't there in May when this happened. There is also no trace whatever of the tread wear indicators so I think it's time for a replacement.
Purchased 07/12/14, fitted to front wheel for 5800 miles, moved to rear wheel 14/10/17, 3051 miles on the rear to date. One puncture plus the snakebite.
RIP.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
This one definitely was a snakebite...

View attachment 474468
....probably due to an experiment running at lower pressures for added comfort. There is a matching smaller mark on the other side. On close inspection today there is now a very slight bump in the sidewall which wasn't there in May when this happened. There is also no trace whatever of the tread wear indicators so I think it's time for a replacement.
Purchased 07/12/14, fitted to front wheel for 5800 miles, moved to rear wheel 14/10/17, 3051 miles on the rear to date. One puncture plus the snakebite.
RIP.
Conti recommend 80psi no matter what your weight is. 60 should have been fine for mine.
Do I contact their customer services & see if they’ll replace it?

Top Bottom