Bottom bracket removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

funk2monk

Cleaning up a few old frames and i have removed all salvageable parts except the righthand sjde threaded cup!
The other side is relatively easy and a conventional spanner fits, but this side is larger than my biggest 32mm but so thin i cant grip with a set of adjustables!
Thought about welding a couple of bolts on the face and then using them to wedge a bar in and turn but this will just ruin what is a usuable part.
Looking for suggestions or tricks of the trade please :cursing::cursing::cursing:

alicat

Legendary Member
Headset spanners come in 34mm and 36mm. They are thin.

Cleaning up a few old frames and i have removed all salvageable parts except the righthand sjde threaded cup!
The other side is relatively easy and a conventional spanner fits, but this side is larger than my biggest 32mm but so thin i cant grip with a set of adjustables!
Thought about welding a couple of bolts on the face and then using them to wedge a bar in and turn but this will just ruin what is a usuable part.
Looking for suggestions or tricks of the trade please :cursing::cursing::cursing:

The right tool for the job is always the best - a proper BB spanner will do.

I know you don't want to do this but to save you one imaginary step, just weld the bar straight onto the cup and skip the intermediate steps for first welding a couple of bolts.

midlife

Guru
I've got something like this but the big nut trick is just as good if not better :smile:

63115.jpg

midlife

Guru
I've never seen that. How does it work?

Its in 3 bits.... the t-bar, interchangeable tool that fits over the fixed cup and the screw that goes through the t-bar From left to right in the above pic.

Assembled together with the tool over the fixed cup and screwed through the fixed cup it's basically a spanner :smile:

Its in 3 bits.... the t-bar, interchangeable tool that fits over the fixed cup and the screw that goes through the t-bar From left to right in the above pic.

Assembled together with the tool over the fixed cup and screwed through the fixed cup it's basically a spanner :smile:

Thanks, but I can't visualise it. I'll look it up.

midlife

Guru
cyclus-720086-med.jpg

T bar on the right placed over the fixed cup. Long bolt goes through the bottom bracket shell and fixed cup into the tool. Tightening the bolt clamps the t bar onto the fixed cup so cannot slip off the fixed cup. Then use t bar to remove. Cant find a pic of it being used lol

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
View attachment 479699

T bar on the right placed over the fixed cup. Long bolt goes through the bottom bracket shell and fixed cup into the tool. Tightening the bolt clamps the t bar onto the fixed cup so cannot slip off the fixed cup. Then use t bar to remove. Cant find a pic of it being used lol

So similar to big nut and bolt then

Top Bottom