Bottom bracket removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
The tool bit is interchangeable. Raleigh, campag etc. Campag actually made a version at nose bleed price. Also used to put fixed cups on, trick is to start by hand as it's easy to cross threads putting the cup in the tool.

BITD often had to put the t bar in the big vice and turn the frame lol.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
A fixed cup spanner and a mallet have always worked for me. Can you still buy a fixed cup spanner?

12boy

Guru
I tried it and before the cup budged the threads were stripped. Perhaps a better quality bolt and nut is in order. I did this with a heavy washer on the inside and out.

12boy

Guru
So a pretty large bolt, then. Does it matter if you turn the nut on the outside and hold the bolt head steady or turn the bolt and hold the nut? Sorry to be such a dufus.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
So a pretty large bolt, then. Does it matter if you turn the nut on the outside and hold the bolt head steady or turn the bolt and hold the nut? Sorry to be such a dufus.
I have the nut on the outside and just keep tightening it up ^_^

12boy

Guru
Stores are closed today but open tomorrow. There's a store that specializes in high quality nuts and bolts. Might try them. Thanks for your input. I will try again.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I use one with a 19mm head which I think is a 13 mm thread but bigger the better and a couple of locking washers on the outside with flat washers on the inside

Gunk

Guru
I use a homemade extractor tool, a plumbers adjustable spanner is also a good tool to have for vintage bikes, it’ll fit the headset and BB

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I use a bolt and nut, but 10 hardness hardware. I actually have to go to an old fashioned hardware store for that there. I had problems with my Recumbent tricycle always bending the bolt on the idler wheel. I thought it was too much pressure from the chain, but the fellow at the hardware store said it was that the bolt I was using wasn't hardened steel. So I also got the nut and bolt in the higher hardness steel for my cup remover and frame spreader.

Top Bottom