Bottom bracket removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I thought we were discussing the r/h fixed cup which I think is a r/h thread.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I thought we were discussing the r/h fixed cup which I think is a r/h thread.
I always thought the r/h fixed cup had a left hand thread, so undone clockwise, ie, the wrong way. Italian threads are the opposite.

I think I am confused:wacko:

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
What is your homemade tool, Gunk? Picture, please.

It’s nothing fancy, just a cheap Chinese crank removal tool adapted with some washers, I use a breaker bar with a socket and slide a steel tube over the breaker bar for additional leverage, usually gets the slippery suckers out!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Bicycles built to French or Italian standards have a normal right-hand threading for the fixed cup.
Bicycles built with British, Swiss or Raleigh threading use a left-hand thread for the fixed cup.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html
My bad :rolleyes:

TBH I check the thread every time I do one and have an old set of cups in the spares box so I can be sure I turn the right way when trying to remove one from the frame.

12boy

Guru
Well I bought a grade 8 bolt but they only had a regular nut. Also got 6 washers and used 3 inside and 2 outside. I had a ratchet wrench with an extension and 2 ft breaker bar for the nut. I started cranking and by golly after avwhile it worked. Having the breaker bar for leverage really helped. Thanks to all you guys for your help.

Top Bottom