Bottom Bracket Replacement - Shimano?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans

Veteran
My BB is knacked on my B'Twin 700 Ultra AF - I suppose 3,000mi in all conditions is fair play to it.

The chainset/cranks are a Shimano RS500 52/34 but i can't quite work out what the BB should be. Hesitant to take it out without having a replacement to hand. I think it's either this one but could be this one?

Can anyone lend a hand?

si_c

Guru
The first one.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
I took the crank off over the weekend once I'd got the BB. Turns out it's a pressfit BB (confirmed through Decathlon) and not this one. No bike today!

For information it's a Shimano BB71-41B bottom bracket.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I replaced a pressfit BB recently (exactly the same model - Shimano BB71). It's not a difficult job at all but you do need the right tools.

I bought a Park BB90 removal tool, which is essentially just a steel tube with a splayed end. You could improvise but the purpose of the splayed end is to apply force equally around the whole BB so you knock it out straight. It does make the job very easy.

I already had a bearing press which I used to fit the new BB. The removal tool came with bearing press adapters the right size for a Shimano BB71. Again, the bearing press makes installation of the new BB extremely easy. And it's best not to improvise a tool for that job because you risk the bearings not going in straight, which isn't good for either the bearings themselves or the frame.

Top Bottom